• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't update my htc hero to 2.1

cazychen

Lurker
Jan 3, 2011
I brought a HTC hero about a year ago and have just started to use it. I have been trying to update it to 2.1 but am having alot of trouble. I have seen clips on youtube on how to update and all of them requires only to press the 'system software updates' button. I've been searching for that button and i don't have it. When i enter 'about phone' my only available buttons i can press is 'status', 'legal information' and 'system tutorial'.

Here's some information on my phone:

Model no. = HTC hero
Firmware version = 1.5
Baseband Version = 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
Kernel Version = 2.6.27-44690c1a htc-kernal@and18-2)
Build number = 2.73.721.9 146733 CL#62020 release-keys
Software version = 1.0.0.A6288

Please help me~~

Welcome!

The "Check for updates" button only arrived with the pre-2.1 preparatory update, which is why you don't have it yet.

Updates are dependent on your carrier, so the first thing to do is contact them to find out if an update to 2.1 is available. If it isn't, then this thread provides a guide to installing the generic WWE ROM from HTC themselves which will allow the handset to be upgraded to 2.1.

Upvote 0
I've re-formated my SD card to goldcard now but i am still having trouble installing the ROM.

I've followed the steps as indicated from your link, i am stuck at the part where i need to open the ROM (step 14). So i've opened it on my computer (if i'm not wrong) and i kept the phone connected (mounted) and unsynced. An error 170 popped out.

I've also tried it when it's synced and i still have the error 170 popping out :( What should i do now?

Upvote 0
I've got it working~ A screen just popped out after a couple of days after saying that i can update the ROM and then to 2.1. It was very random as i've given up on trying to do so...but i'm glad it's all worked out!

But i've got another question, how can i save the app onto my SD card? Cos it's taking up alot of my phone memory. How can i move the things from my phone into my SD card?

Upvote 0
Well, there are two versions of apps2sd.

If you stick with a custom ROM based on the 2.1 firmware you just installed, you have to use apps2sd+, which moves every app to the sdcard full stop.

2.2 comes with apps2sd as stock. Normal apps2sd isn't quite so powerful (not as much of the app is moved, so it won't save as much space), but you can specify whether you want each individual app to install to the card or to the phone.

And yeah, it's a safe process. Normal apps2sd is very easy to do (like I said, it's a normal feature of 2.2), and apps2sd+ requires you to reformat your sdcard, but there are automated tools for custom firmwares that do that for you with a few clicks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones