• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Capacitive touch keys have never worked.

Morelle

Lurker
Aug 26, 2012
I originally posted this in the Captivate Glide forum (ya know, the correct one) but I noticed this forum seems to have a lot more activity. I figured the phones are probably very similar, so you guys might be able to help too.

I got my Captivate Glide a few months ago, and the soft keys on the front have never worked. They don't light up, they don't respond, nothing. Every button on the physical keyboard works just fine. I'm pretty sure it's not a software issue - like a conflicting app I installed - because it's done this since I took it out of the box.*

I got it on a "$0.01 if you get a contract" deal at Walmart and it was their last one, so I couldn't replace it. It didn't bother me too much since everything else works, but if at all possible I'd like to get the buttons functioning again without replacing it or spending a ton on shipping it out to be repaired. I've googled the issue a few times, whenever it starts to bother me again, and I've never found anything other than "they'll probably never work, get a new one".

*I signed up here just to ask for help. I don't have the money to be trashing and replacing android smartphones like paper towels, or dropping $100 on fixing a problem that isn't that big of a deal in the first place. Any suggestions would be great.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones