• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Captivate No Longer Boots

frickson

Lurker
May 27, 2013
I had previously done an update to 2.3.5 via kiess, then rooted using Odin to flash I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar then KK4_stock_kernel.tar. It's been working for a while, but I apparently changed something that caused the boot to hang. On power up, I was getting the AT&T screen, the 3G screen, then the S screen with the S changing colors. It just hung there.

I could get to the download and system recovery screens, so I got into download mode and tried to reflash the KK4 kernel, to see if that would help. But in an early step (step 3 or before, don't remember exactly) Odin hung while trying to connect. It seemed to be semi-bricked, i.e. had the phone-exclamation-computer screen. Tried everything except a jig but couldn't get anywhere.

Took the phone to the AT&T device center. They were able to get it at least back the to "S" screen. I can now get into the download and system recovery screens again, but I'm not sure if I want to try Odin again.

Letting the boot process go, it gets to the "S" screen. After two minutes, the screen goes black, and every minute after that the phone does single, double, or triple vibrate.

USB debugging is not on, so I don't think adb will work.

Questions:
1) Will running Odin again work, and will it do any good?
2) Is there any way to get my data off the phone?
3) Can it be made operable again with or without saving my data?

TIA

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones