• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Glucklichste

Nov 29, 2010
I'm curious if anyone has gone from Captivate to the S3; and if so, are you happy?

I decided against S2. I wasn't quite ready for upgrade, then a friend got one and it was just slightly cooler but had such worse battery life. I figured I'd just wait for the one to follow. In the meantime, my fairly problem-free Captivate has become a disaster even with recent reset. It shuts off a lot, often at night when I'm waiting for the alarm the next AM (I use a backup now). The screen also randomly freezes and it hangs when I go to call, to the point that most every 'first' call I make, I have to repeat because I can't hear anything and my screen is stuck too.

Now I'm mesmerized by the S3, but terrified of "major" issues that have plagued Samsung like the shut-offs with Captivate. Then again, all phones have that potential. I like the HTC One X (I'm stuck with AT&T for my work discount) but I hate the size limitations and no battery.

Curious if anyone has made the same jump I'm looking to! I'm so nervous of getting a dud of a phone.

I can't speak to the Captivate, but I can say with confidence that the S3 is rock solid! This is my first Samsung after owning 3 different Motorola smartphones and I am beyond pleased! No issues whatsoever. I mean none.

Every category you can name has improved over what I have been used to (battery life, signal strength, speed, etc). There have been a few vocal people with issues, but with how many of these have been sold, I'd say the percentage of customers that are happy with the S3 is probably pretty high.

Chris....

Upvote 0
I have had the captive in the past and this is a big upgrade. As for batter life it all depends if you have good lte signal then the radio works less and you get better battery life if you don't then you get less also the power saver option saves quite a bit. I have had multiple phones including the atrix, galaxy s2 skyrocket, LG thrill, droid razr (gsm), and like I said in the past the captive(have had more just can't remember all) (I'm a phone Addis:p). I have the s3 and my cousin has the HOX we traded for a week so I could try it out and the s3 is better.

Upvote 0
Yep my Captivate is now on the dresser and in the process of being sold on Ebay.

I did like the Captivate for its form factor, although the GS3 is actually thinner and I do like the larger screen vs the Captivate. I feel like there is no learning curve going from GB on the Captivate to ICS on the GS3....it's just like upgrading from a BMW 325 to an M5......seems familiar enough but is just bigger and a whole lot more power.

I wouldn't sweat all the "problems" on this forum. It is a well-known fact that forums attract all the people with problems and some of them are real, and others are just people being super nitpicky because all they do all day is fondle their phones and obsess about them.

Upvote 0
i went from the Vibrant (which appears to be the t-mo equivalent to the Captivate) to the SIII, and im very happy with it. the size took some getting used to, but i appreciate the added real estate (i swear, ill never understand how people can websurf on an iphone without going mad...) and as Hogan said, there is no learning curve. i dont think ive come across even a percent of the issues ive been reading about, and half of the ones i have are others personal gripes that i have no problem with. the screen seems to be brighter than on my Vibrant on full blast, but at zero, it seems a tad dimmer. this is actually a plus for me, as it makes for easy night viewing (still use Screen Filter though)

all in all... i love this phone :D

Reactions: Android26
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone!

Can anyone speak for the difference in the brightness/screen? I keep reading negatives for the S3 screen, how dim it is. Weird, considering how crazy vibrant my Captivate is.

No offense meant but I never understand posts like this. Why don't YOU go to one of the many stores that sells these phones and play with it for 5 minutes or 30 minutes or whatever. Then YOU can determine whether the screen brightness is good for you or not. I'd hope you won't just post on some online forum and let people tell you whether the phone is good or not, and then order it in the mail without ever seeing it in person! ;)

Upvote 0
I haven't had any time. Yeah, I probably am buying sight unseen. I have a new job and a really rough schedule right now. If they open AT&T at 10pm I'd be happy to go play with it.

The brightness comparison from other Captivate owners would help, so I asked. And scooter1942's comment makes a lot of sense to me - my Captivate at night is actually still too bright, even on the lowest setting, so that is helpful to know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones