• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories car mount pics

My question is there a hole for the 3.5 mm audio jack?

There is...unfortunately, it isn't activated under 2.1. Yet another reason that I'm anxiously awaiting 2.2:

Car Dock With No Audio Out - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I'm also hoping that someone can modify the car cradle app to replace VZNavigator with Google Nav and add the music player app to the current stock of shortcuts.

<edit> Found a solution for the car cradle issue: http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.bigfwoosh.customcarhome

Upvote 0
So my buddy here at work pulled the trigger and purchased the Fascinate Car Dock. It arrived today here at work and I talked him into letting me take it for a test drive. I only had about 10 - 15 minutes with it but overall it seemed nice. Unlike other car docks I have seen, this one has a side that extends, you insert your phone and then slide the base back together with the USB sliding into place in your phone. Below are some pics I took of it (with my Fascinate camera). I've included some comments about the design. I'll probably end up picking one of these up in the next few days. Let me know if you have questions and I'll do my best to answer them. God Bless!

What's in the box (Front View)... Dock Arm, Dock Base & Suction Pad (Not pictured)
2010-09-17144220.jpg

What's in the box (Front View)... Dock Arm, Dock Base & Suction Pad (Not pictured)
2010-09-17144235.jpg

Card Dock Base - Notice there is a usb built into the dock on the left-hand side in the picture. This slides into the usb port on your phone when the base is closed.
2010-09-17144505.jpg

Car Dock Arm (Side View) - There is only one adjustment on the arm which is loosened and tightened by a single nut on the back. Notice also, that the bottom of the arm snaps down to lock the arm in place on your dash or window.
2010-09-17144313.jpg

Car Dock Base (Rear View) - Notice there are two ports on the back of the base. (Bottom of Pic) One to plug in your USB power adapter and a second 3.5mm jack, which I assume can be connected to your car stereo and used to play music from your phone in your car. At the top there is an opening for your phone speaker.
2010-09-17144253.jpg

Car Dock Mounted in my window (Front View) - It fit perfectly underneath my rearview mirror.
2010-09-17143419.jpg

Car Dock Mounted in my window (Side View) - Just another angle to look at.
2010-09-17143520.jpg

Car Dock Mounted on Dash (Front View) - For those who don't want it on their windshield.
2010-09-17143858.jpg

Here is a link to all the pics I took. Give them a look if you like.
Smasung Fascinate Car Dock pictures by lonzom10 - Photobucket

Upvote 0
Well my friend decided he didn't want the car dock after all as he couldn't find a "good place" for it in his vehicle. He offered it to me for $25 and I jumped on it like a chocolate chip cookie.
smile.png
I used it all day yesterday and must say that I really like the set-up. There were a couple of items of concern but nothing that cant be worked through.

First, and as we already knew, the car dock screen does not support Google yet, so this was kind of a bummer. I had installed Google Maps so I used it instead and it performed flawlessly on the drive home. Still, it would be nice to be able to use the Car Dock screen for what it was actually intended for and to have Google as an option there.

Second, and as many would expect, the speaker phone option while in the car mount is a little less than desirable. There were two problems here... 1.) Those I called said they have a very hard time hearing me and that I sounded like I was in a tunnel, even though I was talking very loud. 2.) The phone screen does not rotate into landscape mode while the phone is in the dock. This was very frustrating as the keypad and the contact's photo were sideways. Something you will definitely have to get use too.

Outside of those items, the phone worked very well in the dock. I was able to navigate to my home, view/read emails, make calls and do everything else you would expect. However, I have not been able to test streaming music from my phone to my car stereo as my stereo does not handle bluetooth and I do not have the wiring hardware to make a connection. I am going to try and test this out in friends car over the next few days and I will let everyone know how it goes.

is that the VZW car mount kit? or ordered from Samsung? looks pretty nice even though i'd prefer non fixed mount

It's the Samsung mount that was ordered through VZ.

Upvote 0
Well my friend decided he didn't want the car dock after all as he couldn't find a "good place" for it in his vehicle. He offered it to me for $25 and I jumped on it like a chocolate chip cookie.
smile.png
I used it all day yesterday and must say that I really like the set-up. There were a couple of items of concern but nothing that cant be worked through.

First, and as we already knew, the car dock screen does not support Google yet, so this was kind of a bummer. I had installed Google Maps so I used it instead and it performed flawlessly on the drive home. Still, it would be nice to be able to use the Car Dock screen for what it was actually intended for and to have Google as an option there.

Second, and as many would expect, the speaker phone option while in the car mount is a little less than desirable. There were two problems here... 1.) Those I called said they have a very hard time hearing me and that I sounded like I was in a tunnel, even though I was talking very loud. 2.) The phone screen does not rotate into landscape mode while the phone is in the dock. This was very frustrating as the keypad and the contact's photo were sideways. Something you will definitely have to get use too.

Outside of those items, the phone worked very well in the dock. I was able to navigate to my home, view/read emails, make calls and do everything else you would expect. However, I have not been able to test streaming music from my phone to my car stereo as my stereo does not handle bluetooth and I do not have the wiring hardware to make a connection. I am going to try and test this out in friends car over the next few days and I will let everyone know how it goes.

It's the Samsung mount that was ordered through VZ.

Can you get sound out of the audio jack? Mine has a jack but it doesn't plug into the jack on the phone like the usb port does so I'm not sure how the sound would even come out unless it can be directed through the usb port...

Upvote 0
There is...unfortunately, it isn't activated under 2.1. Yet another reason that I'm anxiously awaiting 2.2:

Car Dock With No Audio Out - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I'm also hoping that someone can modify the car cradle app to replace VZNavigator with Google Nav and add the music player app to the current stock of shortcuts.

<edit> Found a solution for the car cradle issue: Custom Car Home - Android app on AppBrain

Does the customcarhome app come on automatically when you put the phone into the car dock?

Upvote 0
Does the customcarhome app come on automatically when you put the phone into the car dock?

yes but its a sorry car app if you ask me. I can't find away to add anything to it. the buttons are small (hard to hit while driving) and if you haven't modified it you get Bing maps and directions yeck!

FYI the mount works fine if you put your phone in backwards. At least that way you can plug in audio and power and have a complete working mount until 2.2 comes out. It doesn't look as nice but it works:cool:

Upvote 0
yes but its a sorry car app if you ask me. I can't find away to add anything to it. the buttons are small (hard to hit while driving) and if you haven't modified it you get Bing maps and directions yeck!

FYI the mount works fine if you put your phone in backwards. At least that way you can plug in audio and power and have a complete working mount until 2.2 comes out. It doesn't look as nice but it works:cool:

Thanks Piiman!
So, another question, if you plug it in the regular way, can you just back out of the Fascinate car dock app & start up Google maps that way? Or is the interface locked to the car dock app whenever it's plugged in to the car dock?

Upvote 0
Thanks Piiman!
So, another question, if you plug it in the regular way, can you just back out of the Fascinate car dock app & start up Google maps that way? Or is the interface locked to the car dock app whenever it's plugged in to the car dock?

You can back out. There is a modded cardock though that brings up Google maps and Google search instead of Bing. Frankly I think I'll look into some other cardock apps because like I said this one isn't customizable at all (unless I'm missing it)

I like the one my X has and wish it was on this phone.:eek:

Speaking of the X, even though they have almost the same size screen the X looks WAY bigger in the cardock than my fascinate. Odd.

Upvote 0
You can back out. There is a modded cardock though that brings up Google maps and Google search instead of Bing. Frankly I think I'll look into some other cardock apps because like I said this one isn't customizable at all (unless I'm missing it)

I like the one my X has and wish it was on this phone.:eek:

Speaking of the X, even though they have almost the same size screen the X looks WAY bigger in the cardock than my fascinate. Odd.

Thanks again. I'm using the new Navigon app for my navigation needs. I just wanted to make sure I could run that while the phone was parked in the dock.

Upvote 0
Thanks again. I'm using the new Navigon app for my navigation needs. I just wanted to make sure I could run that while the phone was parked in the dock.

yep no problem backing out of any dock.

WOW ! 40.00 for navigon? You do know Google makes a free one right? I like the Navigon has on board maps but there are others that have that and for much less. Is it a good nav app? I guess it vcould be worth it but its hard to beat Google Nav for free.

Upvote 0
yep no problem backing out of any dock.

WOW ! 40.00 for navigon? You do know Google makes a free one right? I like the Navigon has on board maps but there are others that have that and for much less. Is it a good nav app? I guess it vcould be worth it but its hard to beat Google Nav for free.

Google maps is nice......when you have a connection...but worthless when you don't. While it doesn't have some of the cute bells and whistles of Google maps, it has the true Navigation utility that Google Maps doesn't provide. I was in the market for a new standalone GPS device, and $40 is much cheaper than $140+ for the unit I was looking at. Check out this thread I started over at droidforums: Navizon US for Android - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum Some pretty good discussion going on.

I figure i'd rather spend $40 on an app I KNOW i'll get some good use out of, rather than $1 on 40 crappy or silly apps and games.

Upvote 0
Google maps is nice......when you have a connection...but worthless when you don't. While it doesn't have some of the cute bells and whistles of Google maps, it has the true Navigation utility that Google Maps doesn't provide. I was in the market for a new standalone GPS device, and $40 is much cheaper than $140+ for the unit I was looking at. Check out this thread I started over at droidforums: Navizon US for Android - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum Some pretty good discussion going on.

I figure i'd rather spend $40 on an app I KNOW i'll get some good use out of, rather than $1 on 40 crappy or silly apps and games.

It actually looks pretty nice. How do you like it? I'd like to ditch my Garmin but keep it just in case I' find myself with no connection. Do you know where I can get the 30 day try before buy ? I read they have that option but don't see it in Market.

Upvote 0
It actually looks pretty nice. How do you like it? I'd like to ditch my Garmin but keep it just in case I' find myself with no connection. Do you know where I can get the 30 day try before buy ? I read they have that option but don't see it in Market.

So far it's great! It reroutes very quickly and unobtrusively. The traffic integration is very intelligent compared to other applications even Google Maps. Instead of just notifying you that there is traffic, it automatically calculates a new route for you around the traffic. It notifies you of traffic delays instantly.
I think the try before you buy 30-day thing was only for the European versions. The only way to purchase the US version is through the Android Market. BGR's information is just incorrect, I thought he would have updated the blog by now.
I was actually going to buy a Navigon unit before they stopped selling hardware in the USA. Their devices offered some really nice features and it seems that they have brought all of those features into their Smart Phone apps.

Upvote 0
So far it's great! It reroutes very quickly and unobtrusively. The traffic integration is very intelligent compared to other applications even Google Maps. Instead of just notifying you that there is traffic, it automatically calculates a new route for you around the traffic. It notifies you of traffic delays instantly.
I think the try before you buy 30-day thing was only for the European versions. The only way to purchase the US version is through the Android Market. BGR's information is just incorrect, I thought he would have updated the blog by now.
I was actually going to buy a Navigon unit before they stopped selling hardware in the USA. Their devices offered some really nice features and it seems that they have brought all of those features into their Smart Phone apps.

hmm maybe I can get rid of my Garmin and replace with this. The only reason I keep it is for the on board maps but this might make a good replacement. How easy it to transfer to a different phone? Do you know?

Upvote 0
hmm maybe I can get rid of my Garmin and replace with this. The only reason I keep it is for the on board maps but this might make a good replacement. How easy it to transfer to a different phone? Do you know?

Not sure how to go about transfering it to another phone. I imagine it's tied to your google account and not your phone though. This is my first android device so i've never had to transfer apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones