• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Questions/discussion about vanilla android

Vanilla Android, like the Nexus? or Vanilla like unaltered Sense?

Well, uh...ok, let me explain. I haven't used a Sense android phone for any more than a couple of minutes....ever. However, running vanilla xdandroid on my TP2 (so yes, vanilla like the nexus), there's an app in the app drawer simply called "Clock" which looks incredibly similar to that screen, if not the same. It's how I'd set my alarm. Not sure if the app is present on the Evo/any other Sens flavor of Android or not. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Well, uh...ok, let me explain. I haven't used a Sense android phone for any more than a couple of minutes....ever. However, running vanilla xdandroid on my TP2 (so yes, vanilla like the nexus), there's an app in the app drawer simply called "Clock" which looks incredibly similar to that screen, if not the same. It's how I'd set my alarm. Not sure if the app is present on the Evo/any other Sens flavor of Android or not. Sorry.
Are your icons the same? Like battery, signal, etc.. because they look Motorola to me

Upvote 0
So, booting up vanilla XDAndroid on my Touch Pro 2 and opening "Clock" in the app drawer brings me to this:

eb62vq.jpg

so yeah, what lafester said essentially.

Reactions: sikclown
Upvote 0
well not exactly. someone has to port it first.
cyanogen is usually the first port a phone will get and while it is not 'pure' vanilla it is close and is 100% open source.

now it can take some time to get everything working on a port like this but they have gotten pretty damn good at it by now and have most things figured out fairly quickly.

Upvote 0
Agreed, I hate to keep cluttering this up, so if you have any more questions after this, PM me.

XDAndroid is a port of Android to run off of an XD card on old Windows Mobile 6.1/6.5 devices. There are Sense versions, but the main version is vanilla. So, it's not a rooting method or anything, it's just a ported version of Android for non native devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones