• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] (un)locked bootloader on Evo3D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek: You means besides your Evo?

This is all blog nonsense, again and again.

HTC's bootloaders have been locked for some time - and signed.

That's the way it was with the Evo at launch, and the way it still is - and is for other HTC phones, like the Shift and Thunderbolt - locked and signed.

They are not encrypted, there is no evidence that they'll ever be encrypted, and all this hoopdee is because blog writers feed on each other - one bit of mis-info, and it gets propagated.

Ever do that thing back in school where you like some kids up, the teach whispers a story to one, and says pass it on, and then compare the end result to what the teach told in the first place?

It's like that with blogs.

We've done all we can to correct them, but until the writers panicking about HTC bootloaders have time to understand the tech, they discount the facts as opinions as good as their own.

Reactions: CanDMan
Upvote 0
ok, so it seems to me that the general public is having a terminology issue and a locked bootloader alone is not a bad/evil thing. Encryption seems to be a matter of greater concern to those who prefer a device that they wish to customize.

Yes, I know how those rumors go. Thats why I ask :) It's good to have access to knowledgeable folks. I appreciate your time and answers!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Ah my bad. Wrong terminology in my head there. I suppose if it wasn't locked we would be able to flash custom roms out of the bux, huh? Durrrr...

Easy to get confused, don't sweat it - you've seen me get confused on worse! :D rotf!!

So many buzzwords.

I started to get caught on this very same one too, until novox77 caught it - so I'm just playing it forward! ;)

All a locked+signed bootloader does is delay the rooters, usually for not too long (seems like an eternity when you're waiting for the exploit to crack, tho).

Reactions: lordofthereef
Upvote 0
If bootloaders came unlocked, you could flash custom ROMs right out of the box.

So... terminology is really important here. a locked bootloader is the standard way most phones ship. No news here. and unlocked bootloader is one that has been hacked as part of the root process.

If you ever hear people talking about locked bootloaders, they are probably referring to the way Motorola encrypted their bootloaders that makes unlocking them impossible.

Upvote 0
Yes, terminology is key. My confusion came about with the term bootloader. I clearly can recall talking about my old clamshell phone being locked onto a carrier and the fact that unlocked phones were sold via other channels but I had not associated that to a bootloader at the time. Fast forward to smart phones and I start hearing about bootloaders and didn't put it together with locked/unlocked as it related to older cell phones. So, I could assume we're talking the same lock, with greater functionality, but that could lead me to assuming incorrectly. Is a phone locked to a specific carrier the same lock as a bootloader lock? or are we talking two separate locks?

I think part of the problem is carriers all have differentiated devices. I'd have more clarity on this if I purchased unlocked phones for use on a carrier that doesn't sell the device I want but I usually just wait for a device that is a bit more desirable to be offered by my carrier (or for legislation to 'correct' the issue).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones