• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changelog for every Device in proper forum

XDieAndGoX

Mar 6, 2012
Doral, Fl
www.facebook.com
Well, I simply thought that it would be nice if we kept track of the different updates made to specific devices. For example, the update that LG phone owners make using the LG Support Tool.

My idea was, assuming this kind of updates are made by most phone manufacturers, to keep a changelog of every Android device and feature it as a Sticky thread in the proper device's forum using the information found in About Phone from the Settings menu.

A lot of times, manufacturers do not tell you what the update contains, so we have to figure out what the hell they did in order to "improve" the phone. It would be nice to have an "official" changelog so that we can all see what changes were made before updating since downgrading is not so easy (unless a nandroid backup is present.)

Not necessarily a burden if the staff were to choose trustworthy individuals to handle the changelog, given that they own that particular device. Like a.. umm.. Device Mod?

After I posted this thread, the idea of various carriers with a certain phone model came to mind. There is not a whole sea of carriers out there, like there are phones, so I am estimating a total of 4-5 official carriers per device max. In which case, a changelog per carrier can be safely kept without overflooding the forum with Sticky threads. :p

We are a community after all, so perhaps non-developers could help actual developers by keeping track of this info. Its as simple as looking at your About Phone in Settings and studying your phone to see what has changed before the update and posting it in the Sticky thread. :)

Upvote 0
Sorry, Its a really nice idea but its not feasible really.

You say 4-5 official carriers. I am sorry but this is a massive underestimate.

I just (quickly I might add) counted up carriers who release their own individual ROMS from a none-exhaustive list of leaked roms for my device....

Altell
Brightstar
Chungha
Fastweb
Hong Kong CSL
HTC China
HTC Taiwan
O2 UK
Orange UK
SK Telecom
Softbank
Telstra
Telus
Tmobile Austria
Tmobile UK
Unbranded ARA
Unbranded Asia
Unbranded Europe
USCC
Virgin Mobile
Vodafone France
Vodafone Turkey
Vodafone UK

So thats 24. The funny thing is with the T-mobs and Vodafones, its not just the languages that are different either. They all have different branding, different built in carrier apps and different bugs. You would need a change log for each. Any one of the above could bring out a serveral iterations of the same HTC base.

Upvote 0
Well, I simply thought that it would be nice if we kept track of the different updates made to specific devices. For example, the update that LG phone owners make using the LG Support Tool.

My idea was, assuming this kind of updates are made by most phone manufacturers, to keep a changelog of every Android device and feature it as a Sticky thread in the proper device's forum using the information found in About Phone from the Settings menu.

A lot of times, manufacturers do not tell you what the update contains, so we have to figure out what the hell they did in order to "improve" the phone. It would be nice to have an "official" changelog so that we can all see what changes were made before updating since downgrading is not so easy (unless a nandroid backup is present.)

I track the formal and informal (AKA "leaks") to the Droid Bionic in two sections of ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/438060-bionic-reference-terms-links.html.

Is this what you had in mind?

... Thom

Upvote 0
Speaking for me alone, I would gladly stick one of these, or link to it from the device FAQ, if it was organized and member supported. It would be too difficult for us staff members to keep up with as far as maintaining them though. I have a hard enough time keeping up with rumors vs. reality with my own device and it is a nexus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones