• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging cable MUST be Samsung-branded, or doesn't matter?

Attachments

• 2x1_grande.jpg
    2x1_grande.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Black and White.jpg
    Black and White.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
I'd be interested in seeing the technical explanation of how this cable doubles the amount of amperage passing through it. Amperage draw is regulated by the internal resistance of the phone (I=E/R). Aside from using such small (high resistance) wire that it reduces the amount of current flow, changing a cable doesn't magically increase current flow. The phone draws what it needs, if the supply and cable can provide the phone's maximum charge amp rating. If the phone is designed to charge at 2A, as many are today, it won't draw more current than that. Unless they designed a circuit inside the cable that goes against Ohm's Law, I see this as a marketing gimmick.

Selecting the right amperage charger to match your phone's specs (not a USB port) and good quality charging cable will provide the best you'll ever get in recharge times. :)

Reactions: nawrokrz
Upvote 0
I'd be interested in seeing the technical explanation of how this cable doubles the amount of amperage passing through it. Amperage draw is regulated by the internal resistance of the phone (I=E/R). Aside from using such small (high resistance) wire that it reduces the amount of current flow, changing a cable doesn't magically increase current flow. The phone draws what it needs, if the supply and cable can provide the phone's maximum charge amp rating. If the phone is designed to charge at 2A, as many are today, it won't draw more current than that. Unless they designed a circuit inside the cable that goes against Ohm's Law, I see this as a marketing gimmick.

Selecting the right amperage charger to match your phone's specs (not a USB port) and good quality charging cable will provide the best you'll ever get in recharge times. :)

The way I understood it is that a USB port can be configured to act as power + data or power only (e.g. an AC charger) and when the phone detects power only it will charge at a faster rate. This lead, like the dongles that are also available, re-configures any USB port to appear as power only to the phone and so you get a faster charge rate.

The Bench 2x cable that Andappuser mentions only advertises 'up to 2000mA' dependent on what the phone will allow. I found it on eBay and had a look. It has a switch on the side which allows you to switch between the two configs. Also means that if you have it on the power only setting you can charge anywhere without the fear of any data leaving your phone!

"So 't isne agin the laws aw physics Capten!"
(sorry funkylogik I couldn't resist trying the accent!)

Of course having a decent quality USB cable can only improve things either way.

Upvote 0
The way I understood it is that a USB port can be configured to act as power + data or power only (e.g. an AC charger) and when the phone detects power only it will charge at a faster rate. This lead, like the dongles that are also available, re-configures any USB port to appear as power only to the phone and so you get a faster charge rate.

The Bench 2x cable that Andappuser mentions only advertises 'up to 2000mA' dependent on what the phone will allow. I found it on eBay and had a look. It has a switch on the side which allows you to switch between the two configs. Also means that if you have it on the power only setting you can charge anywhere without the fear of any data leaving your phone!

"So 't isne agin the laws aw physics Capten!"
(sorry funkylogik I couldn't resist trying the accent!)

Of course having a decent quality USB cable can only improve things either way.

Well, that is an interesting explanation. And I had not really considered this in light of trying to charge from a computer USB port, because so many are underpowered that I never do that. So this might serve to make things charge faster under those conditions, but I don't think it could help when using an actual 2A rated AC powered USB style charger.

I liked the accent! Long live the memory of Scotty! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones