1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

choosing a launcher for volt

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by erician, Oct 16, 2014.

1. erician

erician Member

i'm accessing a few different launchers for my volt - running 4.4.2 - in the hope that i'll land on and stick with one that i most prefer (and can thus quit having to confirm each time with the "just once" button (more on that in a bit). i also suspect (or am i being paranoid? ;-) ) that having the selection options is bogging things down a bit

i currently have installed the virgin stock "home"; "kk", on recommendation; and google launcher

all three work fine but i'm wondering whether there's something i should look for during my assessment of each; whether any are more trouble-prone or objectively slicker than the others; if it's simply a matter of my own personal preference; and so on

and once i confirm with "always", where would i go in the system should i later choose to try another, different launcher (thus, overriding my "always" selection)?

thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast

Launchers are all about personal preference . I opted to upgrade mine to the lg g3 launcher. You go to settings/home screen/select home to select your default home launcher.

3. aguba

aguba Well-Known Member

Nova and Apex are the two typically mentioned. I use Nova myself, works well for me.

erician likes this.
  4. MCF3778

MCF3778 Member

i tried next launcher.... it was ok but too much of a resource hog.... i think all launchers are

5. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

In using Holo Launcher HD. Simple, clean, does everything I want without having to buy the premium.

6. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

I use Google Launcher. I'd just recommend trying a few out and seeing which you like better.

7. Sands207

Sands207 Android Enthusiast

Nova gets my vote, been using it along time

TimmayJones likes this.
  8. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Smart launcher for me

Deleted User likes this.
  9. erician

erician Member

thanks for your input, fellerz

i'll check out some of those mentioned

10. np6s4x

np6s4x Well-Known Member

I like that nova can co-exist with stock and won't complain that it needs to be the default. (even if stock is chosen as default after install)

One other note being that the stock LG widgets may not work on other launchers (like LG's stock weather ones for example)

erician likes this.
  11. lxebell

lxebell Member

I like apus luncher just for its simplicity

Dave Rodriguez1982 likes this.
  12. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Just a heads up, I checked this one out, and I got an error from Chronus. It doesn't support some of the more modern widget sizing functions. Not an issue if you don't use widgets, but you could run into issues.

Otherwise, I looks like a nice launcher. I like the built-in system cleanup functions. :)

13. ANSIEN

ANSIEN Lurker

I've tried two launcher, one is Line Launcher , I just like how it looks, a lot of cartoons and the layout is pretty nice. But for men, I suggest APUS Launcher, more simple.

14. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Been using Lollipop Launcher from the Holo Launcher people lately. Simple, small memory footprint. Does everything I need with the free version.

15. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

What's that supposed to mean? Us men can't handle complex things?! :p

ANSIEN likes this.
  16. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

I use Xperia launcher advanced in the modded rom. Tons of settings. Only drawback is loss of status bar transparency. Which to me is no big deal but may be to some.

17. erician

erician Member

Thanks all for your comments, endorsements

A fair amount of time has passed (and a number of launchers "gone under the bridge") since my initial posting, I've landed and settled on Smartlauncher (pro, though the free version is plenty enough)

Easy on resources, elegant and very flexible, I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned in the above comments

Bottom line, though: happy, with no complaints, and recommended

Curtis1973 and bg4m3r like this.
  18. ANSIEN

ANSIEN Lurker

hahahahahaha,, nono it just too cute for men, apus's layout is better for men.

bg4m3r likes this.
  19. redspeed

redspeed Newbie

My gold standard is Nova Launcher. Been using it for years and its still being regularly updated. The pro version unlocks some added features but theyre mostly a bonus. Fast and responsive and leaves a smaller footprint compared to other launchers.

JoshD likes this.
  20. JoshD

JoshD Well-Known Member

I started with Holo Launcher but only because of device limitations, after getting a tablet & a better phone Nova has been the best I've used so far.

21. das1996

das1996 Newbie

I prefer nova but it's not compatible with 5.1, so apex it is.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

i use smart launcher and the stock lg easy launcher

23. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

What exactly is the difference with the easy launcher? I couldn't tell...

24. JoshD

JoshD Well-Known Member

Using it on 5.1.1 right now & it seems to be running fine.

Ph0enix_216 likes this.
  25. Ph0enix_216

Ph0enix_216 Android Enthusiast

On 5.1.1 myself and it's working quite beautifully.

JoshD likes this.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews