• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Choosing a new rom for the first time

cashmere_cat

Nov 2, 2010
Western Canada
Now that I am ready to install a custom rom, the choices and options are overwhelming.
From what I gather they are all listed over at XDA, and I have browsed through the pages there, but it seems an insurmountable task to read all the posts on all the roms -- some have over 1500 pages per rom.

So while I know that choosing a new rom is a very subjective thing, and everyone has their own idea of what makes for the better rom.... I am still looking for some suggestions on where to start. I want to be able to load a rom today so that I can start enjoying the benefits of rooting. Once that is done then take more time to find other roms to test out at a later time.

I am hoping for suggestions on roms that are the easiest to load, seem to have the fewest bugs, dont need new radios flashed, etc. Doesnt need to have a ton of bells and whistles at this point, but A2SD is a must (preferably built in)

Can anyone suggest ? either sense based or not, not particularly fussy at the moment..

i mentioned teppic76 stock rooted rom in your other thread, it supports a2sd . its somewhere to start
you dont have to read the whole rom thread just the 1st page where they tell you the requirements and how to install it.

everyone likes different things so choosing is up to you. theres a link at the top of the xda desire dev secion that has a list of the more common and active roms.

Upvote 0
hi all,

rather than start a new thread thought i would post here - sorry cashmere_cat if im hijacking a bit :/ but thought it sounded like im in a similar situation to you

so im new to this root/rom business - been looking on here and xda at desire rom stuff - but it can seem a bit overwelming at times :/

im now using Miui XJ:
-it seems very stable - better than au version i feel.
-speed i would says is same as before
-ram is better - up from 120 to 160 free normally
-internal mem is up - but not a2sd'd it yet
-im using 3rd party launcher on top as dont like Miui one
-i REALLY like the screen capture :) been after that for ages
-install was nice and easy

other roms?
-is Miui a sense rom? im thinking it might be as it looks and feels like sense - but then there are sense roms too
-what is ASOP rom? :/
-i understand that some roms are stripped down android rather than sense?

anyway - apols for the ramblings :)
just wondering whether im missing out on a 'better' rom (not that xj is bad at all) - or do other do without the things that ive taken for granted in sense

thanks
dan

Upvote 0
Miui isn't Sense - Sense really does mean that it contains the actual HTC Sense framework and modified apps.

AOSP = Android Open Source Project. AOSP ROMs are basically android without overlays like Sense - they are smaller, lighter on system resources.

"Better" is subjective. What some people consider ideal is what others would run a mile from :). The question is, what do you want from a ROM?

The good thing about this is, take your nandroid and you can try out as many different things as you feel like.

Upvote 0
hi Hadron,

many thanks for the quick reply - cool - at least i know what they mean now :D

yes true - i did put better in quotes and a note after to show i didnt mean it was poor in any way :)

you are right - i just need to be brave and try some i guess

im guessing the lighter roms have less functionality compared to miui and sense style - and hence could be scary to me :D

cheers
dan

....acutally - miui xj has just done a nice job of clearing up lots of duplicate contacts for me - sweet :)

Upvote 0
im guessing the lighter roms have less functionality compared to miui and sense style - and hence could be scary to me :D

Not so much, Sense is mostly style over substance. Some things you'll notice are:

• Different Lockscreen
  • Different Dock at the bottom (Android's is better than Sense's in my opinion -Sense only has 3 buttons, and one of those buttons does the same thing as long pressing the screen, and is therefore a waste!)
  • Facebook contacts integration is not standard in AOSP, but you can get the same effect using an app like SyncMyPix
  • No Sense Widgets (although there are alternatives in the market)
  • Android Calender looks different. Same functionality though
  • Android Mail app rather than the Sense Mail app
and depending on the ROM some apps that come as standard might not be included (like Facebook), but can be downloaded from the market.[/list]

Nothing major as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
cool. thanks guys. will check that link out
cheers
dan

....ah,ok. interesting rom thread thanks.
I noticed you said that miui doesn't have sense Widgets.
but miui does support what I would call normal third party Widgets.
I thought that when peeps were saying no sense Widgets it meant
the rom could handle Widgets! :-D but guess it just means the stock
sense launcher Widgets?

cheers

Upvote 0
cool. thanks guys. will check that link out
cheers
dan

....ah,ok. interesting rom thread thanks.
I noticed you said that miui doesn't have sense Widgets.
but miui does support what I would call normal third party Widgets.
I thought that when peeps were saying no sense Widgets it meant
the rom could handle Widgets! :-D but guess it just means the stock
sense launcher Widgets?

cheers

When we say Sense Widgets we mean things like Friendstream, Friends and the HTC Calender Widget, but like I say there are alternatives for all of them in the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones