• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing which applications start up

If you don't want an app to start (that you don't use), go to settings/applications/ and check "disable".

Some may be starting because you have syncing set within the app, turn it off.

Some just plain run all the time... leave them alone, you're not wasting much battery (unless it's something like Jango taht you didn't exit correctly). Android is designed to have stuff run and not really be "on".

I downloaded lot of applications onto my new S3 and the all seem to be running. How can I stop some starting up every time I start my phone,and presumably save battery?

Upvote 0
I downloaded lot of applications onto my new S3 and the all seem to be running. How can I stop some starting up every time I start my phone,and presumably save battery?
They aren't "running". They are just loaded in memory for quick access.

Don't worry about it and just let Android manage the memory on its own. It does a very good job of it.

Reactions: Dieben
Upvote 0
I use Gemini Apps Manager. I think it does the same thing as autostarts (haven't tried autostarts). Requires root. Very easy and useful program.

It can certainly help the performance of your phone (battery and memory/speed) to block these type programs from auto-starting. Many of the programs that auto-load on start (for example Google Maps) have an associated service... which makes them high priority... they won't unload easily. Android will flush your other programs (maybe some you want to use) before it flushes the service.

I blocked Google Maps so it doesn't start on boot. The program is still available to me, it just doesn't start until I want it to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones