• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chrome - disable most visited (or suggested??) sites in new tab?

kite

Oct 5, 2014
Is there a way to stop the most visited sites or whatever those are in a new tab in Chrome 94.0, Android 11? Not sure if they're most visited or suggested (different from Discover which I have turned off). My goal is to have a completely blank page.;

The following method has been suggested but it doesn't have any effect:

go to chrome://flags > search for "Explore websites" > set it to Disable

My relationship with Chrome is like this "Duckduckgo for my favorite band" Chrome suggeseted "This band you might enjoy" Same way as flags, once you really turned off the experimental ones, they only preset every time you click on chrome itself, vs. firefox is a muuuuuchhhhhhh savvvvvvvvvyyyyyyyyy browser vs. chromedrome, besides firefox focus gets rid of all that belly fat in a second ;)

Upvote 0
I tried FF and Duckduckgo browsers and they both had even worse total dealbreaker drawbacks. Was I while ago but I think it was when they changed the Open Tabs view (the thing that shows all the pages you have open, not really "tabs" like in desktop) to tiles instead of a vertical list. Pretty sure Chrome did it too but I found a way to block updates. Everything with tiles as opposed to lists triggers a deeply angry reaction that makes me want to punch the designers. It's not just that titles are wildly inefficient it's like someone set out to design the most aggressively douchey inefficient interface purely to annoy people. I'm not saying they did but it sends that message.

Upvote 0
I tried FF and Duckduckgo browsers and they both had even worse total dealbreaker drawbacks. Was I while ago but I think it was when they changed the Open Tabs view (the thing that shows all the pages you have open, not really "tabs" like in desktop) to tiles instead of a vertical list. Pretty sure Chrome did it too but I found a way to block updates. Everything with tiles as opposed to lists triggers a deeply angry reaction that makes me want to punch the designers. It's not just that titles are wildly inefficient it's like someone set out to design the most aggressively douchey inefficient interface purely to annoy people. I'm not saying they did but it sends that message.
Really you thought duckduck go was annyoing, it is suited the best to clear out everything your heart desires vs. on how chrome and ff would devour your ram, and other tools you keep shifting and lingering too, I never done multipule tabs that way, it is like on veritical on my cell phone, what kind of cell do you have, please just try to help us understand about your cell, and screen shot your problem, we are not with you, so please just help us all out.

Upvote 0
Really you thought duckduck go was annyoing, it is suited the best to clear out everything your heart desires vs. on how chrome and ff would devour your ram, and other tools you keep shifting and lingering too, I never done multipule tabs that way, it is like on veritical on my cell phone, what kind of cell do you have, please just try to help us understand about your cell, and screen shot your problem, we are not with you, so please just help us all out.

I don't understand anything in this reply - ram, desires, shifting, lingering?? Samsung A32. I want new tabs in Chrome to be completely 100% blank That's the only thing I'm asking. Nothing else. Let know if there's something confusing in that statement. "Blank new tab" is a standard concept; there isn't really any way to rephrase it. Maybe Google "blank new tab in Chrome" if it's not clear.

Upvote 0
I don't understand anything in this reply - ram, desires, shifting, lingering?? Samsung A32. I want new tabs in Chrome to be completely 100% blank That's the only thing I'm asking. Nothing else. Let know if there's something confusing in that statement. "Blank new tab" is a standard concept; there isn't really any way to rephrase it. Maybe Google "blank new tab in Chrome" if it's not clear.

I'm pretty sure Chrome doesn't do that, well not without hacking and modifications. When I use Chrome, new tabs always load the default Google search page.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones