• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chrome OS is on android?

Sep 18, 2015
A website had an article about chrome os merging with android , we all know android is more popular the chrome os , probably because it had poor advertising or we just don't like PC operating systems ( idk if chrome is on desktop.. I only saw a notebook PC) but do you agree with that? I mean, what kind of os was that!? A netbook tab mobile pc?!? :thinking:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Chrome OS is a very small OS that's designed for running online applications (e.g. you write your documents in Google Docs, etc). It's used mainly by devices that resemble small laptops ("Chromebooks"). As Mike says it has very limited capabilities when not connected to Google services, so it's not at all like a PC operating system.

As for its popularity, the Google Play Store in the UK has a basic Chromebook (2GB RAM, 11.6" screen, 16GB on-board storage - including space used by OS, and 100GB Google Drive storage for 3 years) for £199, and a high end one which starts at £799 for 8GB RAM, 32GB on-board storage and a 12.9" screen, 1Tb Drive storage (£999 for 16GB RAM and 64GB storage - an incredible markup for modest upgrades IMO). I can buy a basic laptop for the cost of the cheaper one, a pretty good one for the price of the higher-end model. The £999 price tag of the top end one will get you a 13" Macbook Air with 256GB SSD storage. So the reason that Chrome OS hasn't taken over the mass market is obvious: most people will not pay the same (or in some cases more) for a netbook that is entirely reliant on cloud storage and runs an OS that limits your selection of apps rather than a regular laptop.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Chrome OS is a very small OS that's designed for running online applications (e.g. you write your documents in Google Docs, etc). It's used mainly by devices that resemble small laptops ("Chromebooks"). As Mike says it has very limited capabilities when not connected to Google services, so it's not at all like a PC operating system.

As for its popularity, the Google Play Store in the UK has a basic Chromebook (2GB RAM, 11.6" screen, 16GB on-board storage - including space used by OS, and 100GB Google Drive storage for 3 years) for £199, and a high end one which starts at £799 for 8GB RAM, 32GB on-board storage and a 12.9" screen, 1Tb Drive storage (£999 for 16GB RAM and 64GB storage - an incredible markup for modest upgrades IMO). I can buy a basic laptop for the cost of the cheaper one, a pretty good one for the price of the higher-end model. The £999 price tag of the top end one will get you a 13" Macbook Air with 256GB SSD storage. So the reason that Chrome OS hasn't taken over the mass market is obvious: most people will not pay the same (or in some cases more) for a netbook that is entirely reliant on cloud storage and runs an OS that limits your selection of apps rather than a regular laptop.

We often think of Apple computers as being expensive, but yesterday I bought a 13in MacBook Air with 128GB storage for equivalent of £620, which in this country(China) is about the same as a 32GB iPhone 6S Plus or Samsung S6 Edge. So something that depends with being totally online to function, well I'm certainly not bothering with it. And last month I bought a tablet with 32GB storage, plus upto 128GB SD, that runs full-blown desktop Windows 10 for equivalent of £120.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mmm...

To balance the views a bit, I've got 2 chromebooks in our house and they are used for 95% of everything we do on computers. Very fast, very secure and cheap. They do now do most common things (office suite) offline. I do also run full blown linux for heavier lifting tasks.

The current rumours refer to Google's hints that they will "merge" chrome OS and android into one OS in the next couple of years. (a la Microsoft and Ubuntu)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones