• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CHROMECAST, CHROMEBOOK BATTERY OF PHONE..

Robert7107

Android Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2011
cameron park ca
Just bought Chromecast and I have obtained a small catalog of movies and plan to use Google movie service as well....
Impact on my phones battery I feel is going to be much ...wondering if nexus player is better choice but wonder how to stream movies saved on my nexus 6? I have a sd card and reader I could use if I were to buy a laptop...

Chromecast is very efficient at playing Play Store content - the media stream goes directly to the Chromecast, not to the Android device first.

Local casting isn't a power hog but it's not free on power either.

In both cases, it's important to understand that you will NOT be screen casting (unless you have private movies with incompatible codecs, and then you will screen cast).

If you're unsure what codecs are -

http://androidforums.com/threads/chromecast-codecs.805990/

Here's what it supports -

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

If you have typical mp4 movies with modern codec streams saved locally, this is all you need to stream them -

Check out "LocalCast for Chromecast/DLNA"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stefanpledl.localcast

Upvote 0
I figured I would ask all my questions in one post...
I got the Chromecast yesterday and love it .. My big concern now is the battery of my nexus 6 taking to much stress and causing premature demise... I have movies downloaded on my phone I watch a movie last night about 2 hrs long not really sure how much it actually drained my battery I didn't monitor it.... So I thought either to get a Chromebook transfer movies onto my sd card and plug that into Chromebook use Chromebook to play movies...

Or....
Buy movies on Google play an be done with it....

I see a decent laptop would be around 300-400 . Chromebook would be under 250..

What do u think???

Upvote 0
I think I answered this yesterday, you ignored it (so I've merged the two threads to really get your questions in one place) - and if your battery is draining fast it sounds like you're screen casting.

What format are your movies in? It's REALLY important for deciding your strategy.

There's no answer to 'Chromebook, laptop, etc etc etc' until you clarify that.

Did you try the Local Cast app I recommended?

Upvote 0
I think I answered this yesterday, you ignored it (so I've merged the two threads to really get your questions in one place) - and if your battery is draining fast it sounds like you're screen casting.

What format are your movies in? It's REALLY important for deciding your strategy.

There's no answer to 'Chromebook, laptop, etc etc etc' until you clarify that.

Did you try the Local Cast app I recommended?

I didn't see it sorry......
OK.. What type of Battery consumption iam I looking at? I downloaded it now and iam watching movie using it. Movie formats I have on my phone is 1080p m4 maybe ...

Reason I ask about a Chromebook is to save the battery on phone because I am unsure of the long term use of casting .where a Chromebook I could leave plugged in and it won't be need outside of house I understand I can use a sd card with Chromebook as well? Or would the nexus player be a better choice I understand it is its own streaming tool an no need of my phone correct? Iam learning here I ask to know thank u..

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with leaving your phone plugged in while watching a movie. Like Early said, when casting from phone to Chromecast, once you get the movie started, it goes straight to the Chromecast, and you phone basically just acts as a remote control. It doesn't use a lot of battery, but just plug your phone in if you're worried about it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones