1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cleaning bloatware

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by groston, Mar 8, 2022.

1. groston

groston Newbie

I decided to clean some of the bloatware off of my rooted Pixel 3XL. The first bloatware I removed using ‘adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 <package>’ and there were no problems. However, it was pointed out that I should have TWRP installed in case something goes wrong. While I can do this, the phone is actively used and I am concerned about making a mistake. So, a bit more looking and I found something that suggested using ‘adb shell pm disable --user 0 <package>’.

The problem is that this didn’t work. When I tried ‘adb shell pm disable --user 0 com.verizon.obdm_permissions’, I got the error message ‘Security exception: Shell cannot change component state for com.verizon.obdm_permissions/null to 2’. Did some searching, but nothing indicated how to resolve this issue.

My question: Can 'pm disable' be used (and what should I do to avoid the error) or is ‘pm disable’ not a viable option for non-system bloatware?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

GameTheory and Dannydet like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

But installing TWRP will require unlocking the bootloader, which will trigger a factory reset. So everything important should be backed up first.

GameTheory, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

You're using the old adb command which is unreliable. Try the new command instead.

Code (Text):
    1. adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 <package>

Hadron, ocnbrze and Davdi like this.