• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cleaning bloatware

I decided to clean some of the bloatware off of my rooted Pixel 3XL. The first bloatware I removed using ‘adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 <package>’ and there were no problems. However, it was pointed out that I should have TWRP installed in case something goes wrong. While I can do this, the phone is actively used and I am concerned about making a mistake. So, a bit more looking and I found something that suggested using ‘adb shell pm disable --user 0 <package>’.

The problem is that this didn’t work. When I tried ‘adb shell pm disable --user 0 com.verizon.obdm_permissions’, I got the error message ‘Security exception: Shell cannot change component state for com.verizon.obdm_permissions/null to 2’. Did some searching, but nothing indicated how to resolve this issue.

My question: Can 'pm disable' be used (and what should I do to avoid the error) or is ‘pm disable’ not a viable option for non-system bloatware?

Upvote 0
I decided to clean some of the bloatware off of my rooted Pixel 3XL. The first bloatware I removed using ‘adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 <package>’ and there were no problems. However, it was pointed out that I should have TWRP installed in case something goes wrong. While I can do this, the phone is actively used and I am concerned about making a mistake. So, a bit more looking and I found something that suggested using ‘adb shell pm disable --user 0 <package>’.

The problem is that this didn’t work. When I tried ‘adb shell pm disable --user 0 com.verizon.obdm_permissions’, I got the error message ‘Security exception: Shell cannot change component state for com.verizon.obdm_permissions/null to 2’. Did some searching, but nothing indicated how to resolve this issue.

My question: Can 'pm disable' be used (and what should I do to avoid the error) or is ‘pm disable’ not a viable option for non-system bloatware?
You're using the old adb command which is unreliable. Try the new command instead.

Code:
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 <package>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones