1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cleaning the Glass?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GuitarG20, Oct 30, 2014.

1. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member

So for whatever reason, my N5 has what seems to be some kind of build up on the screen that will not go away.

[​IMG]

This is about the best photo I could get of it, but it seems to cover the entire screen. No matter what kind of dry wiping I do, I can't get it gone. It'll appear to be gone, only to reappear on it's own in a few hours or the next time I take my phone out of my pants. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? My only thought is that I must have damaged the oleophobic coating somehow.

Secondly, is there anything I can (safely) use to clean the screen? I have eyeglass cleaner and general cleaning products but I'm rather afraid to use anything other than dry or just water. I also have magic erasers, which I use for things like my glass computer screen. Any thoughts anyone has I would appreciate. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Personally, I wouldn't use anything except a damp cloth. If it is in fact that the coating is fading off, you may really not have many options left. I have a tempered glass protector on my phone, and it is holding up pretty well.

If the marks on your phone are returning even after wiping with a damp cloth, I'd suggest trying out a tempered glass protector. It feels just as good as the current screen. If won't remove the marks, but at least you won't see them anymore.

GuitarG20 likes this.
  3. GingerRob

GingerRob Well-Known Member

I use a small amount of sanitiser gel. Seems to help keep the screen clean and clears greasy finger prints.
    Whether this helps with your situation, i am unsure.

4. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast

This is why I would always use a screen protector. If it suffers any wear, replace it.

I just 'herr' (!) on mine and wipe with a clean lint-free cloth.

5. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

I've always just used CVS pre-moistened lens wipes. They have a mixture of water and alcohol. I've been doing this for years, since my old Palms, and have never seen any deterioration of the screen. I don't use screen protectors or cases.

6. GuitarG20

So like lens cleaner essentially?

7. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

This may seem like an odd suggestion for an Android forum, but I use automotive detailing spray, applied to a microfiber cloth. It will not damage anything, and the one I use (Adam's) contains no wax or harmful chemicals, and leaves an anti-static property that lasts for awhile (to prevent further build-up).
    Best Detail Spray | Quick Detailer | Car Detailing Supply

8. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

9. GuitarG20

I might try using my lens cleaner kit then, or mix some isopropyl myself... just water has not been doing the trick

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews