• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Clock keeps jumping ahead several hours at a time

I'm a new member with hopefully a non-confusing question.

My clock keeps jumping ahead several hours. I've restarted several times and eventually I had to just turn off the automatic time-zones and now have it set manually. While there are no other LG G3 threads about this other forums on here seem to think this issue could be a phone issue, a network resetting issue, or that one particular app is demanding a time change.

Has anyone had this problem yet on their G3 or does anyone have any possible solutions for this issue?

Thank you in advance.

My wife's G3 has an odd problem. She has the G3 on Verizon. The date and time settings have checked off Automatic date & time and Automatic time zone. So it should set the date and time automatically. However, every couple of days it will jump forward about 4 hours. I don't think it's a network issue. My G3 doesn't do this.

Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on fixes?

Upvote 0
I'd look at the installed software and see if there's anything that could possibly affect the clock. Especially crimscrem, compare your phone and your wife's.

If you can't figure anything out, I'd factory reset, don't reinstall apps, and see if it still happens. If so, I'd return the phone under warranty.

Upvote 0
I'd also check and see if the time changes when you are connected to wi-fi. Once I was staying in a hotel and every time I was inside the hotel, my time on my phone was 3 hours off. I finally realized it was the time set on their router (if I turned off wifi, it would automatically reset my phone to the network time). May not be your issue, but worth checking.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Disable 'auto time zone' under settings. I have not yet found an Android phone in my life that has that feature work properly. it's defaulted to on, but uncheck and set it manually and you won't have to set it again. mine was setting me a day into the future and screwing with Google Play Store.

It found it works OK. This year I've been China > Russia > UK > Russia > Hong Kong > Singapore > UK > China > Russia > UK > Russia > China...and it's always set itself OK for the correct time zone. This is with CyanogenMod on an Oppo phone and not a G3 though.

Upvote 0
Disable 'auto time zone' under settings. I have not yet found an Android phone in my life that has that feature work properly. it's defaulted to on, but uncheck and set it manually and you won't have to set it again. mine was setting me a day into the future and screwing with Google Play Store.

Auto has always worked fine for me, on multiple brands and models of Android phones. Including my Sprint S3. Maybe your carrier has a problem with their network time.

Upvote 0
My G3 out of the box glitched the auto time zone and put me a day into the future at four in the morning, causing Play Store to throw all sorts of errors (including tons of triangle notifications during restoration of apps) and causing the Verizon Data usage app to cease function. I always feel better setting it manually and knowing it won't glitch out.

My Note 3 had a bad habit of going an hour ahead or behind as if it forgot about daylight saving time.

the network time bug happened with every android device including WiFi only tablets. Its one of the first things I disable as soon as I get one.

I also disable the so-called "high accuracy " mode in location settings and set it to GPS only. For reasons unknown high accuracy puts me a state away or over one hundred miles from my actual location especially when I'm home. I live in Owensboro but it loved to put my location in Henderson or Rockport Indiana.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem where it would jump ahead four hours every few days for weeks. I turned off all the apps that I could think of that might be affecting it and changed settings to no luck. I finally took my phone in yesterday to the Verizon store and they could not figure it out either. They are sending me a new phone as a free replacement. Hopefully it doesn't happen on the new phone.

Side note: They said that an issue in Seattle, Washington that had this effect was due to a network issue and was affecting multiple phones. But since I am in Indiana they obviously could not link it to that.

Upvote 0
I'm in Indiana and I'm also having the problem that my new Verizon G3's clock jumps forward 4 hours. Always 4. The strange thing is that it seems to happen mostly during my commute home in the evening (but not the other way around in the morning). Although I can think of one exception. The time zone remains correct just the time changes. I love the G3 but I really want to get this solved.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's the G3 or Android to blame. As others have explained above, all it takes is just one cell tower that is transmitting the wrong date, time or time zone to mess up the date/time/tz on your device.

It's probably best to manually set the time and date on your device, as was previously suggested. While there are disadvantages to that (e.g. for travel), at least there are no surprises.

Upvote 0
I thought the same thing as you mentioned, Klotar. So I tried setting the clock to manual various times. Then the time would jump ahead 4 hours and when I went into the settings, the automatic date & time would be checked again. This had happened multiple times even though the time was set manually and automatic date and time was unchecked. Once I had determined this sequence of events happening I decided it was time to take it in to Verizon and see about getting a replacement.

Upvote 0
I stand corrected then.

As a side note, in my BlackBerry days, I would find that after syncing my device from my laptop, I noticed that the time/day would change. And it took me a while to notice even that pattern, that it occurred after a sync. My laptop had the right day/time of course or I would have known much sooner but it had the wrong time zone. And every time Ii would sync, the time zone would change on the BB.

More recently, I have been hit by the rogue cell tower that had the time out by 2 hours. In that case, I happened to overhear some co-workers (with different devices) complaining about their device's times, and I chimed in that I was experiencing the same issue. Depending on when you happened to look at the time, it could be right or wrong, lol.

Anyways, hope all turns out well.

Upvote 0
Has anyone ever tried actually disabling 'network time' in settings? if it stops happening just set it manually. i am unsure what benefit having it auto set does, other than using more battery and issuing more wakelocks than necessary.

My Samsung Convoy 3 flip doesn't seem to be affected by the network time bug (it only sets the clock via network and has no option to disable that) so i doubt it's the network being the cause. i live in a pretty remote area and no tablet, smartphone or laptop can set its own clock correctly.

I've had smartphones forget about daylight saving time, laptops think i'm a week into the future, and tablets assuming DST ended sooner than it actually has. one Windows 98SE machine (Compaq Deskpro) actually assumed that DST was ending a few months early. it popped up saying so in October, when it wouldn't change until late November.

Once i had to wipe an Android phone and it thought the current date was the year 1969. someone tell me how that happened? i thought the earliest computer clock date was supposed to be at least Jan 1 1980? where did December 31, 1969 come from?

Upvote 0
To androidboiler and boiler101..and likely anyone else that this just started happening to, and lives in IN..and the time is set based on location and..was jumping forward and back always by ..4 hours..what seemed an arbitrary number to u..mine just started yesterday..but would literally jump back and forth in front of my eyes. I shut the setting off, powered off the phone, all that. Late last night I shut the setting off, then tapped the setting..on the left of the screen at the top. Not only do you have Eastern Standard..which conversion is GMT-4:00...not a coincidence!! You also have the ability to pick your individual state! I've not seen that before. I did that, turned the setting back on and phone has been keeping correct time. Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones