• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Clock Widget Vanished from Home Screen?

timm9

Feb 19, 2010
Sierras, CA
www.skibear.com
Hi, I did search but found nothing that matches. Moto X went off this morning and turned off alarm. Went into meeting at 9:00 and at one point noticed that cell was updating an app but not OS. Looked at my phone a hour later and the Clock Widget has disappeared. I tried to re-install/place widget but it will not stay on the page. I do not remember making any 'changes' to my cell. Did I do this or is it an app causing issues?

Thanks!

Hi, I did search but found nothing that matches. Moto X went off this morning and turned off alarm. Went into meeting at 9:00 and at one point noticed that cell was updating an app but not OS. Looked at my phone a hour later and the Clock Widget has disappeared. I tried to re-install/place widget but it will not stay on the page. I do not remember making any 'changes' to my cell. Did I do this or is it an app causing issues?

Hmmm, I haven't see anything like this myself. There are two things I can think of: the widget is still there, which is why you cannot place another there, but for some reason, it's not showing.

I assume that you're using the stock digital clock widget?

Here's what I would try to do:

1. Restart the phone. See if the widget is back.
2. Try to drag the widget (as if it was there) to the top of the screen, where the delete control shows up (it will if you are actually dragging a widget or icon.)
3. Put the widget on another page to make sure it still works. Then try to drag the widget back where you want it.

Do any of these three things help at all?

Reactions: timm9
Upvote 0
Thank you doogald for the prompt response!

I have rebooted the cell several times as well as cleared the cache. I followed your suggestion and tried to place the Widget (paid widget from beautiful widgets combo clock and weather) a different page with the same results. The widget appears to stay on the page but the minute you select another page it disappears. I have also attempted to remove the widget from its original location but nothing appears to be selectable or moves to the trash/top of screen.

Thanks again,

Tim

Upvote 0
Wow, weird.

Well, I guess the next thing I'd try is to install the Google Now launcher and see if the widget works there. (You'd have to make it the default home the next time that you press the home key after install, or at settings -> home).

(But, that's only if this is a 2013 Moto X. If this is one of this year's Moto X, I think it already uses that launcher.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher

If this does help, and you want to keep using the default launcher rather than the stock Moto launcher, I guess the next thing to try is settings->apps, slide to "All", scroll down to MotLauncher, tap it, and then try tapping "clear data". This should reset the home screen to the default and you'll have to set up icons again, though. Then either uninstall the Google Now launcher, or go to settings->home and choose MotLauncher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones