• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Closest thing to Blackberry Messenger?

My question then is this: is there a way to be notified each time a new message comes in? I get notified of a new message when my droid is sleeping or hasn't received a message within 5 minutes but if I'm chatting with someone and not paying attention I don't know they've replied. (Apologies if this has been addressed, I'm not able to find it in the threads).

Upvote 0
There's an app I just discovered called "Beluga." I haven't exactly used it all that much but it claims to be a lot like BBM, so for those looking for something similar to BBM, I would look into it.
It is very much like BBM including groups and posting pictures. we have been using it for a while, and the only thing I don't like is the ability to delete a chat.

Upvote 0
So what's more important? The fact that BBM is free for BB users or the fact that you are always on? Most people buy data plans with their handset so can't see why the free is a USP? Always on is also in GTalk? So is the only benefit having Group Chat and a PIN instead of a name??

Everyone keeps saying that GTalk has the "Always On" feature, but it doesn't work on Blackberry. The option is there for "Automatically sign me in", but whenever I reboot my phone, I'm no longer logged into GTalk. Also, there are times when I just get logged out even if I don't reboot. I also have Yahoo Msgr, and Windows Live Msgr and they all have the same problem. Go figure. There's nothing like my BBM.

Upvote 0
whatsapp is free and you know when the other has received your msg because it gives a double tickmark. one tickmark is when it's sent and the other one when it's received...

I think it's free for the first year, but there's a $1.99/yr charge after. WhatsApp Messenger is a smartphone messenger available for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone. I'm using on both android and blackberry seems decent enough, have not had a chance to do extensive testing though. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones