• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 Random Issue Thread

Why are the signal bars at the top sometimes green, and sometimes grey? It doesn't seem to be related to signal strength, I can have three grey bars, or one green bar, and everything seems to work either way. Does anybody know why it does that?

same here, but i have notice when you change themes, that tends to happen alot, seems like a little bug.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I am running froyo 2.2 on metro
I am rooted. i have installed go sms and i am very
satisfied with it. I want to know if its safe to go about
uninstalling the stock messaging app and how to go
about doing it. also is it safe to remove the stock keyboard and
swype. cause im using slide.

Upvote 0
Go sms and all of the other aftermarket sms apps (afaik) run on top of the stock messaging app, so, no, you shouldn't delete that. For keyboards, swype is safe to get rid of, I'm not sure about the Android keyboard.

Upvote 0
This thread is for cm7 only questions and issues, including but not limited SMS/MMS, keyboard issues, rotation, and other off the wall questions about cm7, this will also cut down on the original CM7 OP thread, and also this will help lower the Post New Thread counts about the same issues and questions.

So much for "cm7 only". Gotta love how quickly we get off topic around here. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Why are the signal bars at the top sometimes green, and sometimes grey? It doesn't seem to be related to signal strength, I can have three grey bars, or one green bar, and everything seems to work either way. Does anybody know why it does that?

as far as i can tell when you are using data and such theyre green when idle theyre grey

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
how about that dam random reboot shit i cant stand it since i updated to 2.2 on every rom including stock 2.1 and 2.2 i get random reboots usiuly when in a vehicle and wtf is up with this international data roaming? why do i keep geting that in the notification bar i may be roaming but for one data roaming is off and 2 the only time ive ever left the us was once when i had to shit i accidentaly crossed the boarder and hatched a mean loaf on canadia ay

Upvote 0
+1
My only issue would be USB conn. & Assigning Cust. ringtone to contacts, if it pertains to CM7. if it dont then my Bad... (just trying to make use of this topic)

USB is functional on the CM7.2 07282011 build.You have to pull down the notification bar to view it & enable it.An icon should appear in the status bar to alert you that you are connected to your PC.
If you can't see it & are using a theme that is not included in the ROM,I'd temporarily switch to one of the provided themes & see if that helps.
I was once using one of the dark blue honeycomb themes & had issues accessing notifications in the status bar.
Perhaps one of the wireless (WI-FI) apps would help w/connecting to the PC.
Keep us posted on your USB issues.

Reactions: intrdrgn
Upvote 0
I have ran into this issue 3 times now. I was running CM 7.2 07282011(I just flashed 7.1 CM7.1RC1-Ascend-BobZ-07082011(729mhz) in 7.2 Everything would be running fast and smooth. Then I'd go to download an app, it would download and while it was installing my phone would all of a sudden reboot. Then i start getting force closes for all kinds of things. Apps and .processes, etc. and continue to reboot on itself to the point I would have to reflash 7.2. Any ideas on correcting this issue? I really like the CM 7.2 07282011 but obviously thats a issue that is forcing me to switch to CM 7.1.

Upvote 0
I have ran into this issue 3 times now. I was running CM 7.2 07282011(I just flashed 7.1 CM7.1RC1-Ascend-BobZ-07082011(729mhz) in 7.2 Everything would be running fast and smooth. Then I'd go to download an app, it would download and while it was installing my phone would all of a sudden reboot. Then i start getting force closes for all kinds of things. Apps and .processes, etc. and continue to reboot on itself to the point I would have to reflash 7.2. Any ideas on correcting this issue? I really like the CM 7.2 07282011 but obviously thats a issue that is forcing me to switch to CM 7.1.

Download a fresh copy of CM7.2 07282011 & the latest GAPPS.
Install both & before downloading anything else,run 'FIX PERMISSIONS' in ROM MANAGER.
I also recommend installing CWM 3.0.2.8 & do all the wipes & formatting (less SD Card) before loading & installing CM7.2 & GAPPS.

Reactions: ShinySide
Upvote 0
Download a fresh copy of CM7.2 07282011 & the latest GAPPS.
Install both & before downloading anything else,run 'FIX PERMISSIONS' in ROM MANAGER.
I also recommend installing CWM 3.0.2.8 & do all the wipes & formatting (less SD Card) before loading & installing CM7.2 & GAPPS.

Ill try that if i start having problems with 7.1 (Im running at 729mhz with no problems! Woo Hoo! Ahaha Sorry) I did basically all that except I didnt think about running fix permissions BEFORE it happened. Because I could download ALL my Google apps and personal apps and it'd be fine. Then i'd come across an app and figure I'd download it and thats when it would start happening. But thanks Ill keep that in mind!

Upvote 0
Ill try that if i start having problems with 7.1 (Im running at 729mhz with no problems! Woo Hoo! Ahaha Sorry) I did basically all that except I didnt think about running fix permissions BEFORE it happened. Because I could download ALL my Google apps and personal apps and it'd be fine. Then i'd come across an app and figure I'd download it and thats when it would start happening. But thanks Ill keep that in mind!

CONGRATS on having a phone capable of running at 729mhz!
You may have just encountered M.U.G.S. (More Unexplained Goofy S***).

It's a common phenomenon w/the ASCEND.I've had similar unexplained,sudden & relentless force closures in the past & re-flashing usually does the trick.
However,just w/the one or two apps that continually force close,either 'FIX PERMISSIONS',clearing data in the offending apps,or,uninstalling & re-installing the offending apps usually does the trick

Upvote 0
no problem, are you needing it to stay awake for the alarm to work or just because?

I'm using Pocket Casts to dl and listen to my Podiobooks, and I'm trying to dl a couple of them all at once. Everytime the phone sleeps I have to restart everything again. It's about 1.2 gb total to dl, so it keeps falling asleep before I've got more than a few chapters at a time. My GrooVe IP keeps the WiFi connected even when the phone times out, but PC shuts down all the same. Was cleaning, so I couldn't hover over it to keep it awake. Plus, I always have the option checked anyway. No use in a sleeping phone when it's plugged in.
BTW, for podcasts and podiobooks, Pocket Casts is an awesome app.

Reactions: intrdrgn
Upvote 0
I'm using Pocket Casts to dl and listen to my Podiobooks, and I'm trying to dl a couple of them all at once. Everytime the phone sleeps I have to restart everything again. It's about 1.2 gb total to dl, so it keeps falling asleep before I've got more than a few chapters at a time. My GrooVe IP keeps the WiFi connected even when the phone times out, but PC shuts down all the same. Was cleaning, so I couldn't hover over it to keep it awake. Plus, I always have the option checked anyway. No use in a sleeping phone when it's plugged in.
BTW, for podcasts and podiobooks, Pocket Casts is an awesome app.
i will try it thanx..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones