• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help com.motorola.contacts has stopped unexpectedly - no fixes have helped!

I've sincerely thanked you for the help, and I stand by that.
Alright man, last post on the subject. First, I accept your apology. Second, I hope you learned that you shouldn't assume anything...ask just for confirmation. I also hope you've learned how important it is to listen. Glad you got it all worked out. Did it fix your problem?

Upvote 0
Gah! So close! I deleted caches, etc., backed up, reset, and booted back into the phone. The contacts behaved just fine! Of course, it didn't have any of my contacts, just the default AT&T ones, but still, it was working fine.
So, I re-rooted and re-installed the ATRIX 2 bootstrapp (which is what, I discovered, provides cwm recovery), and rebooted into cwm recover and performed the restore.
That all went great... but then the contacts are crashing again just like before.
Which shouldn't surprise me since I essentially just restored the phone exactly back to the way it was. :-/

Upvote 0
Oh, and I did just do: "backup and restore/advanced restore/pick your backup/restore data....that will reinstall all your apps and app data from said backup" and didn't play around with ROMs. So, I gather, whatever is wrong with contacts backed up in the app data and was restored with it.
Since it worked, you're one step closer....at this point you're not gonna have it as easy as you want so what I would do is make a backup of all you apps only, do the factory reset again and this time just restore your apps, no app data. Or you could just say screw it and flash the fxz and start completely fresh.....I think that would be the better option to be honest. You could backup your apps and save them to your pc, format your sdcard then do the fresh install and finally restore you apps once that's done.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hi Mechphisto,

I have a Motorola RAZR XT910 and recently I had a problem with the contacts after installing an updated version of Friendcaster Pro. It seems that after that install, my contact manager started experiencing all the same symptoms you described. I did exactly as you did and did some research to no avail. However, this is good news I'm posting and I can tell you I fixed the contacts manager.

The fix is simple and is as follows: (hopefully it works for you too)

1. download and install a freeware program called Root App Delete

2. Press the SysApp button to go to view all system applications installed/running in your system currently.

3. Find and select Contacts v(whatever your respective version # is) and click disable and exit the application

4. After you have disable the contacts app try to launch it from your launcher home screen or your homescreen in general.

5. After the app is confirmed to be disabled relaunch Root App Delete app and this time go to Recycler and enable the contacts.

6. Test out your native android contact manager...it should work now!

7. Do a little dance in celebration...lol

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Reactions: HIGHSPEED
Upvote 0
I have a Motorola Atrix and was having this same problem. I went to Motorola.com and they told me to clear my partition. I did so and it did not help. I then went again online to a different rep with Motorola.com and right off the bat (after checking to see if I had backed up my contacts), he recommends I do a Factory Reset! It was not until I I pointed out that I would really like to try something else first, because doing a Factor Reset would delete all my installed apps, that he then suggested I call them for Level 2 help at 800-734-5820. Go Figure~!
...Anyway! Before calling Motorola, I found this thread. Frankly I felt bad for the first guy who was beat up because he did the wrong thing... no help.
THEN! I saw the last person's Hotmail post and BINGO!
YES! Hotmail in the past week or two went to Outlook for everyone! So LOTS of people will have this problem.
I JUST DELETED HOTMAIL and problem is solved! Contacts Storage is again working. Thanks so much!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones