• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

complicated question about contacts and resetting phone

bleep963

Lurker
Dec 6, 2009
When I bought my G1 the guy in the shop used his own gmail account to demonstrate and forgot to reset the phone. I got home transfered all my contacts into the G1 from my old mobile which then died. I only have my contacts on the G1 now and no other back up copy. My problem is that the shopguy's gmail is still the default account and I need to do a factory reset. I am unable to synch my contacts with my own gmail account. I am unable to download apps from the market as I dont know the shopguy's password. I am therefore unable to back up my contacts before I reset the phone.

I have been looking for ways to back up my contacts to my PC so that I can reset the phone and then export them back and synch them with gmail via the G1. It seems impossible to do using the USB cable? It is also not possible to save the contacts to SIM or the memory card?

I have looked into using sites like zyb or vodafone 360 for backing up my contacts online but they dont seem to work with the G1?

I feel stuck. Can anyone help please?

PS will the shop guy now have all my contacts on his phone and access to my sms messages and emails (as I have set my own gmail account as a secondary email account on the G1).

Maybe saving your contacts to your Sim card - 'Contact2Sim' free app from the market. Another App 'MyBackup Pro' which will save most things including contacts to your SD Card so then you can Backup to your PC or onto their servers but its not free. They have a lite version 'MyBackup' 30 day trial. Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
The problem i have is that i cant access the market to download apps without the shop guy's password. so it is a no win situation.

The only thing i can think of is going to the shop and asking him to install the apps i need to do a back up and then reset the phone.

Ahh I see your point, could be a plan. Can you not sync your contacts to Outlook on your PC then delete the guys Gmail Account and set up yours - instruction below if you are not sure how to do this:

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Google Apps > "Clear data" > OK.

This will delete the Google account details on your mobile.

To enter new details Menu > Settings > Data Synchronization > Google and you'll be prompted with the set up dialogue. Enter your new account details.

or factory reset which my be the best bet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones