• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help CONFIRMED Malware Rooting your Phone WITHOUT Knowledge! Read Articles - did Antivirus work??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

Just read a couple SCARY articles about malicious code that can root your phone and do a whoooooole bunch of stuff with your personal data. We're not talking pirated and/or repackaged apps from some Chinese warez website...we're talking released in THE MARKET!!

Take a look:

The Mother Of All Android Malware Has Arrived: Stolen Apps Released To The Market That Root Your Phone, Steal Your Data, And Open Backdoor | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Google pulls Market apps with root exploit -- one patched in AOSP, but you probably didn't get it | Android Central

Before Google pulled the apps from The Market there were only a few downloads...only 50-200,000!!!! UH BOY!!

Well "free markets"..."open source"...something like this was bound to happen. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner...

Anyway, I have a QUESTION...does anyone here know personally or know of someone who might have downloaded these apps WHILE USING AN ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM that actually flagged the app?? The article mentions 50-200,000 downloads of these repackaged malicious apps distributed in the Market. Surely someone had an anti-virus program installed?? Did it work??

I'm just trying to gauge the need and, most importantly, the EFFECTIVENESS of installing an anti-virus app on my phone?? I'm familiar with Lookout...how does that work?? Has anyone actually seen that app BLOCK a malicious app from installation?? Does anyone suggest any other anti-virus app??

That's why you should always be careful about what you download. Make sure you're downloading from a reputable developer. *Most* of the time, it's easy to tell if it's a copy like this, but certainly not always. In this case, Evo owners (specifically) who weren't already rooted couldn't have been affected, as the root exploit that was included doesn't even work anymore. Of course, if you already have root, it goes without saying that being careful what apps you download is something you should already be doing. As far as antivirus programs are concerned, it is starting to look like there might be more of a need than there was previously. But even without them, you can keep yourself protected by just being careful what you download.

EDIT: I take that back; the Evo might be affected. Just be careful what you download, and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
That's why you should always be careful about what you download. Make sure you're downloading from a reputable developer. *Most* of the time, it's easy to tell if it's a copy like this, but certainly not always.

But even without them, you can keep yourself protected by just being careful what you download.

EDIT: I take that back; the Evo might be affected. Just be careful what you download, and you'll be fine.

I'll be honest...and perhaps it is because I have been a not-very-concerned-about-viruses MAC owner :D:D ...but I wasn't too concerned about the early reports about potential threats to the Android OS. That being said I, and probably many others less "savvy" than myself, had a real false sense of security downloading from the Market. EVEN NOW, I'm not too too clear/confident that I would recognize a "copy" of an app that was suspect. I will CERTAINLY be much more careful now that I have notice but it is QUITE easy to quickly download something and install without thinking and then have it be too late.

Upvote 0
I'll be honest...and perhaps it is because I have been a not-very-concerned-about-viruses MAC owner :D:D ...but I wasn't too concerned about the early reports about potential threats to the Android OS. That being said I, and probably many others less "savvy" than myself, had a real false sense of security downloading from the Market. EVEN NOW, I'm not too too clear/confident that I would recognize a "copy" of an app that was suspect. I will CERTAINLY be much more careful now that I have notice but it is QUITE easy to quickly download something and install without thinking and then have it be too late.

Anybody get lucky and catch one of these using an anti-virus app?? If so, which app did you have success with??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones