• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Conflicting charging issues

bdjaddy

Jan 26, 2012
Michigan
Being new to the Android world, I have a concern.
On Boost Mobiles LG User Guide, it states...

"Do not wait until your battery is completely depleted before charging your device. Repeating this process of a complete discharge and recharge can over time reduce the storage capacity of any battery".

But on LG's User Guide, it states..."To help maintain life and longevity, always wait for your battery power to be fully depleted before plugging in to recharge. Charging too often may affect the lifespan of the battery".

Which is the correct one to follow? Thank you. bdjaddy

Being a Li-ion battery, I'm inclined to believe Boost's to be more accurate. The old nickel cadmium batteries used to be susceptible to a "memory effect", where they would lose their max capacity if repeatedly recharged when not fully drained. With Li-ion batteries, I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry. Li-ions still aren't perfect..they will lose their max capacity over time, just like any other battery. The advantage is you are able to charge them while they are partially depleted without any capacity shortage effects.

Reactions: bdjaddy
Upvote 0
I have always let my battery completely deplete down to the point where the phone will shut down by itself. I have done this with my phones for a while now. I don't have phones for a very long time but that is what I do due to the fact that back in the day if you charged your phone all the time, it would create a "memory" and not last as long. This was very true for those who owned any nextel phones back in the day. After a while the phone batteries would become really bad. The batteries they make now are not supposed to do that. I don't know a REAL answer for you but I would suggest you let a phone completely die as opposed to charging it all the time for the simple fact that leaving a phone on the charger all the time will raise the temp on it if your using it for a lot of things such as heavy gaming or web browsing while charging. Heat WILL kill a battery and that is a FACT. I mean I am quite certain there will not be a TRUE answer to help you but that is what I do.

Reactions: bdjaddy
Upvote 0
As in my original post, I received two different answers. LOL

I normally charge the phone at night while sleeping and during the day, only when needed. I will keep you posted.

Thank you.
bdjaddy

lol..nobody seems to ever have a definite answer for this question :p

I do the same as you..charge while sleeping, and only during the day as needed. I've been doing this with my last 4 phones, all running Lithium ion batteries. I've never noticed a significant decrease in any of those batteries.

leaving a phone on the charger all the time will raise the temp on it if your using it for a lot of things such as heavy gaming or web browsing while charging. Heat WILL kill a battery and that is a FACT.
Completely true. Heat will kill a battery, which is why I leave mine alone while it charges.

Wikipedia said:
Usage guideline

• Avoid deep discharge and instead charge more often between uses, the smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.
  • Avoid storing the battery in full discharged state. As the battery will self-discharge overtime, its voltage will gradually lower, and when it is depleted below the low-voltage threshold (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) it cannot be charged anymore because the protection circuit (a type of electronic fuse) disables it.
  • Lithium-ion batteries should be kept cool.
  • The rate of degradation of Lithium-ion batteries is strongly temperature-dependent; they degrade much faster if stored or used at higher temperatures.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones