1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Congratulations Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e User!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by drcarl, Jan 31, 2020.

1. drcarl

drcarl Newbie

Greetings,

I MAY have recently solved the full-screen pop-up ads that have been plaguing me when I turn on my tablet after some time (like overnight). Now, I am attempting to kill the Congratulations pop-up box that is even specifying my device (Tab S5e).

I know it's a scam, and have not clicked through to win anything. I don't know if it is site-based (like a site I visited) or if my device is compromised.

I have run Malwarebytes' program as well as the paid free-trial mobile security app from Trend Micro. I've searched the interwebs to no avail. Too often the remediation is for desktops, or ones that have a "wrong" step (like go to "apps" then "downloads" - there is no such thing as "downloads under apps).

I'd like to know what to do next, besides the dreaded factory reset. I'll give a $1,000 Walmart gift card to the trillionth answer - lol

TIA

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i would start by uninstalling all of your apps and its data and cache. do it one by one until you find your culprit. you can even backup your apps and data with smart switch. just be careful when re-installing your apps as you could re-introduce the adware again.

MrJavi and drcarl like this.
  3. drcarl

drcarl Newbie

Thanks for the SmartSwitch tip. I have 300 apps, so I'll...sheesh...take them out 10 at a time, or maybe all of them and reinstall the ones I actually use one by one... The "congratulations" pop-up is so infrequent I fear it'll take me forever to isolate it. I'll look up how to backup with SmartSwitch. Again, thanks.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

start with the most recent apps at the time this started to happen and work from there.

MrJavi, drcarl and Dannydet like this.
  5. drcarl

drcarl Newbie

Good idea. Thanks. (Update: the full-screen pop-up ads are back, too - boo hoo)

MrJavi likes this.
  6. drcarl

drcarl Newbie

Since a few days have passed without ANY pop-ups or "congratulations, you won" notices, I thought to stop by and share what appears to have worked for me.

• Back-up entire Galaxy Tab S5e to PC with SmartSwitch (installed on both the PC and the tablet.
    • Reset Tablet to factory settings.
    • Restore everything from PC to Tablet.

Easy peazy.
    Keeping fingers crossed.

THANKS!

7. drcarl

drcarl Newbie

UPDATE. It's been weeks now and the fix is in. It seems to have worked!

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e release date was April 2019. Features and Specs include a 10.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 4/6GB RAM, Snapdragon 670 processor, and 7040mAh battery.

April 2019
Release Date
Reviews