• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help connecting to vista as mass storage. forget kies

Josh1a1h

Jul 16, 2010
Ok as title says.. having troubles...

I have gone to settings - aboutphone - usb settings - mass storage...

Now upon connecting to my computer, the phone task bar says connect phone via mounting... so i do this...

Usually a drive should be installed and then it should be visable on my computer... BUT THIS DOESNT HAPPEN...

How do i get it to work??? i dont use kies because it is rubbish and dont need it. I just want to drop and drag music and videos.

WHATS WRONG... please help!!!

Indeed forget KIES and uninstall.

What you need is a proper driverset for your Galaxy, that's all.
Next instruction is for WIN7 32 and 64 bit
Download drivers from Softpedia.com search for Galaxy S
Use the 64 bit drivers.
Important: Put your Galaxy in USB development mode.
(Sorry, don't know exact name for it, my native language is dutch!)
See device manager on your PC
Connect your Galaxy to your PC
You see in the device manager your phone with an exclamation mark, now update driver manually.
New devices will appear, install them all manually.

Now your Galaxy is connected.
Hope this helps......

Upvote 0
look... i just want to connect my galaxy as a mass storage device.

The drivers from kies didnt work. As my phone is not recognised.... When kies is already running, the phone is still not recognised...

I just want to install a driver which will work everytime i connect my phone on my vista laptop...

Upvote 0

The drivers from kies didnt work. As my phone is not recognised.... When kies is already running, the phone is still not recognised...

I just want to install a driver which will work everytime i connect my phone on my vista laptop...

All I'm saying is Kies, shouldn't be necessary, drivers shouldn't be necessary.

Something is obviously wrong.

Don't snap at me(!)

Upvote 0

thats the help and advice i needed. thank you for your help.

@karnka... if you havent got anything useful to say.. then dont...
And where in this thread did i say the phone was crap?

Feed the troll:

"i knew samsung were not ready for competing with the bigger names."

;)

Upvote 0
Hi , after weeks of messing around to get kies to work( I had all the same problems as everyone else I figured what caused all my problems- it was old Samsung and Nokia Software( from my N 95 and 8910 HD) deep in the Registry.I had dealeted everything as normal but there was still software found in the Registry.Once I had removed that I had a conection to Kies right away. Kies works now the past week with no problems at all.I just Connect my phone to my Windows 7 Computer and then launch Kies.The drivers are found right away and within seconds Kies is working. I have All kinds of Aps. on the phone (49).Now and again my phone may freeze or have lags but very rare indeed.

Upvote 0
Hi All - like the rest of Galaxy owners i had a 'mare with Kies (with Windows7) Thanks to all above (and others from other forums/sites) with the many tips.
I spent the best part of yesterday pulling my hair out. For what it worth, heres what i ended up doing this morning for success..
Possibly some redundant actions but then again i'm never going to threaten a programmer's career..
= Rebooted PC (had trouble even DL'ing kies at one point hence this action to clear the slate)
= Downloaded latest version of Kies from Australian Samsung site . Not the most recent i could find (Aug 17) but had the highest version number (1.5.1_10083).
= scoured my system for old drivers from LG crap suite and deleted. Look very closely or use the driver tool at Softpedia..
= Downloaded X64 drivers from Softpedia.
= Opened Kies and updated drivers.
= Powered phone off and restarted
= USB setting on phone to 'ask on connection'. I think i also unmounted both int andext mem card. cant be certain as tried so many damn things!
= Connected phone to pc
= Watched in wonderment as pc saw device, drivers installed and an icon appeared on kies screen indicating success.

Good luck to all. It does seem like there are many ways to skin this cat and i wonder if there truely is just one solution (other than not using Kies at all!!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones