• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Consumer Reports Declares: Samsung Galaxy S4 is top phone

You didn't offer "criticism of the iPhone", you implied that anyone choosing it in preference to another device was "unintelligent". Major difference. ;)

Once again, personal opinion and preference is just that.... personal. Nobody wants to see a world where everyone is satisfied with the same thing, as that breeds stagnation and complacency. By the same token, nobody is expected to agree with another's opinon and preference, but AF expects that they at least respect it. There's an old interwebz saying that holds as true today as it did back in the old BBS days.... your mileage may vary. :)

If saying the iPhone is overpriced is not criticism, then you must not be using the English dictionary.

Obviously I don't care what people buy. But when someone quotes me and starts arguing that paying $200 for an iPhone 5 is a better value than paying a penny for a Galaxy S3 because of more accurate colors, facetime, and worst of all "a extremely intuitive and uninterrupted experience", they're obviously blowing smoke. I LOLed when i read the last part because it's a load of BS that sounds like it came straight from a poor marketing campaign.

Upvote 0
As was pointed out earlier, everyone's unique and 2 different people will have different preferences.

From my perspective, I don't like Apple (outside of my iPod). I don't want to be locked into their ecosystem for all my devices, I don't like to the extent they go to prevent their devices working with other devices outside of their ecosystem, I like customization and their simple OS is so simple it often times takes away the very customization I like, etc.

I will say regardless of how I feel about Apple personally, they make very high quality devices and the way their devices work with eachother inside their ecosystem is very good. I just personally prefer to go another route.

I also don't get the negative feedback about the S4 feeling like "cheap plastic", from my perspective it doesn't feel like a cheap device at all, and frankly isn't much different in weight than the HTC One. I think they are both pretty solid devices, I just prefer the S4 instead.

So while I personally will never choose an iPhone or iPad, I won't knock others who do because they are nice devices, I just don't like them personally. Same thing with the HTC One, it's also a very nice device that a ton of people will be very happy with. I however chose the S4 and I'm very happy with my choice thus far. But anyway you look at it, you really can't go wrong with any of these devices, it's all what suit's your fancy.

Upvote 0
I also don't get the negative feedback about the S4 feeling like "cheap plastic",

I hate that as well. Especially when someone will potentially throw a case on it anyways. I personally find the 'premium feel' to be very overrated but that is just me. I'd rather see much more emphasis placed on the screen, operating system, what's under the hood, etc.[

Upvote 0
Just so there's no confusion, here's a quote from the first paragraph of the Rules that everyone agreed to when they joined AF:

Please treat other members with respect. These forums were put together for Android fans to come together and help each other, collaborate and discuss in a positive way – not bash on someone because you don't like their idea, or because they don't share the same views as you. We are big into the free speech idea here. So you're free to say what you think – but do it in a constructive, positive, 'add to the conversation' kinda way – not the condescending 'I don't like what you're saying so you suck' kinda way. We encourage mature debates – discourage childish arguments.

Please stick to discussing the subject in hand, and save the criticism of others' opinions and the veiled insults for other, less classy forums. Personal preference and 'value' is just that... personal. Here at AF the mantra is "attack issues, not people".

If further clarification is required, please address them via PM in order to keep the thread on-topic.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones