• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contact List Questions...

harryzwd

Jul 20, 2010
NJ, USA
yes, my first post on the forum is about something as "dumb" as the contact list....
i'm just wondering why all of my contacts seem to have 4 linked contacts, all of them being themselves. and when i "unlink" or delete them, they then become entries in my contact list...all the same thing. what the hell is going on?

and i've seen this asked in another thread - but is there no option or command for wiping your contacts? how can we delete multiple contacts at once?

thanks in advance for any help...hopefully i'll be able to contribute and not just pester the android masses for help. ;)

Ok I have a question similar to this i think.

I like how my phone links FB friends with their contact card in my phone. But there is one person who I dont want it linked to his FB but it wont let me un-do that.

I.E---Say on his FB his name is Jason Marks in Handcent all his sms messages say Jason Marks and have his FB picture. but I call him by a nick name. So when I text him im so used to typing in his nick name but it doesnt come up. Ive tried to create a seperate contact with a sperate picture but it always defaults to Jason Marks. Ive deleted him out of my contacts completely. I put his number back in under his nick name. It suggested I link to his FB but I didnt. So I went into Handcent hit New Message and when it says To: I typed in his nick name but nothing came up. Sure enough I type in Jason Marks and its right there even when I deleted it out of my phone and did not link the number to his facebook.

It is really starting to annoy me!!

Upvote 0
i'm not sure what caused it either...but i was able to get Samsung Kies working on my home pc and was able to edit my contacts that way....

impressive, I tried two different PCs (XP and vista -64) without being able to get Kies to work. which mode to you connect to kies with? if I use USB mass storage it tells me to switch. When i switch to Samsung kies the MTP (not sure about acroynm) starts flashing on my phone and I can never make the connection.

Upvote 0
i was able to get it working on my win 7 (64) machine at home while i had zero luck with my xp machine at work.

prior to installing kies i installed the usb drivers for each windows installation - i never changed the usb connection setting in the phone (i believe the default is "samsung kies") and i was able to connect the phone to both computers and read the phone similar to mass storage mode.

i got the latest version of kies off of samsungapps.com (used europe, united kingdom to get the download)

i installed the file with the phone disconnected (make sure you have the latest .net 4 updates installed on your computer before you install, i read that somewhere and made sure i had them) then i simply connected the phone to my computer, never touching the usb connection setting in the phone...and it just worked. :thinking:

Reactions: ilusv
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones