1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Contacts list is a constant mess

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by andyspeak, Sep 15, 2016.

1. andyspeak

andyspeak Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2016
    Male
    So I backed up all my contacts with my google account and it synced to my phone but added a load of emails from my gmail account into my contact list. So my contact list is now about 700 long. Not only that but I had contacts on my SIM and on my phone and on my network provider so I moved those to the google account because I was getting a new phone and wanted all my contacts in one place. Suddenly there were a lot of duplicates in the phone and in the google account so I tried removing duplicates via the google account which it says it does but then when I look at the contact list they are still there. Some of my contacts have 20 duplicates! What should make backing up contacts a simple process has just made my contacts list a total nightmare.

Is there any way to sort this out?

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
  3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I've got the same problem as you, but it occurred for a different reason....

anyhow, using the Google Merge command under Duplicates make it an easy fix to use some "logic" to merging stuff.

I use names for each number, I do NOT put multiple numbers under just a contact's name. on a cellphone, it is damn near impossible to decide which number to call that way.....
    ie,
    James cell
    James home
    James work

when I look in my contacts list, I immediately know which one of those to click on..... otherwise, you click on James and are hit with "default" or select from a list..... slows me down.

mikedt likes this.
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The easiest way is on a PC using the link provided in a previous post. There may have been some error in syncing that caused this. While you're at it, arrange the contacts into logical contact groups so you can decide which group you want your phone to be displaying.

mikedt likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    FWIW I don't bother trying to use clouds and online for my phone contact details at all. too much agro, and sorting out the mess afterwards.

I just do export as .VCF file from the contacts app, put it on the SD or computer or something, import into new device, done. Like when I transferred all my contact info from my Oppo R7 Plus to a new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 a few nights ago. .VCF or Vcards is an industry standard AFAIK, and works with many things, including Apple.