• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts list is a constant mess

andyspeak

Lurker
Sep 15, 2016
So I backed up all my contacts with my google account and it synced to my phone but added a load of emails from my gmail account into my contact list. So my contact list is now about 700 long. Not only that but I had contacts on my SIM and on my phone and on my network provider so I moved those to the google account because I was getting a new phone and wanted all my contacts in one place. Suddenly there were a lot of duplicates in the phone and in the google account so I tried removing duplicates via the google account which it says it does but then when I look at the contact list they are still there. Some of my contacts have 20 duplicates! What should make backing up contacts a simple process has just made my contacts list a total nightmare.

Is there any way to sort this out?

I've got the same problem as you, but it occurred for a different reason....

anyhow, using the Google Merge command under Duplicates make it an easy fix to use some "logic" to merging stuff.

I use names for each number, I do NOT put multiple numbers under just a contact's name. on a cellphone, it is damn near impossible to decide which number to call that way.....
ie,
James cell
James home
James work

when I look in my contacts list, I immediately know which one of those to click on..... otherwise, you click on James and are hit with "default" or select from a list..... slows me down.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
FWIW I don't bother trying to use clouds and online for my phone contact details at all. too much agro, and sorting out the mess afterwards.

I just do export as .VCF file from the contacts app, put it on the SD or computer or something, import into new device, done. Like when I transferred all my contact info from my Oppo R7 Plus to a new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 a few nights ago. .VCF or Vcards is an industry standard AFAIK, and works with many things, including Apple.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones