• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Converting videos recorded with MT3G for use in Windows Media Player/ Movie maker

Rossforney

Apr 8, 2010
So I want to be able to use/view the video's I record with my phone on my computer. (open from an email or use in window's movie maker) I have a new computer with Windows seven at work and a Vista laptop at home. I can send the video to myself and try to open in from my email or tether to the computer and transfer the file manually. Either way I can't open with windows media player. Video's taken with default "Camcorder" app on a myTough 3G running Android 1.6
I know it has something to do with the codec's the phone uses but wonder why they wouldn't use codec's that are compatible with the most commonly used pc's?
Is there any way around this? Some kind of converter for the computer or for the phone?
Is there another camcorder app that can record video with a different codec or is it phone hardware specific?
So far have been able to use these forum's to sort out most of my Android problems but I'm stumped on this one. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard to do. Should be more user friendly.
I've tried downloading a few of the "free" video converters but they don't work right. One came close and the video played in WMP but played back sideways at triple speed with no sound!
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Did I do something wrong? Did I post this in the right section? I'm new to these forums but have a hard time believing there is NOBODY else who's confused as to why they can't send a video in an email and have the recipient just open it and view it without a bunch of technical problems...... or anybody who has found a way around the problem that can help a fella out.........anybody.......Bueller.......Bueller.......(I'd settle for a "Beat it guy, nobody can help you." at this point)

Upvote 0
i don't know about the myTouch but i know the Hero has a problem with sound. If it is codecs as you said, you computer should be able to search for them, especially if your using 7 - it should find them for you. My problem is that i can get the videos to play but i don't have any sound unless i upload it straight to youtube but i can't upload more than 3GB at one time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones