• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Convince me to root.

CTM

Nov 22, 2010
I just got an HTC Incredible today and coming from a rooted eris this this is sooo fast. I was pretty much forced to root my eris but this thing seems pretty good on its own. Other than wireless tethering and apps2sd is there any reason to root?

There are all kinds of ROMs available that offer much more than wireless tether. You would just have to read up about them. I rooted mine the day after I bought it just to get rid of a few apps that I didn't want on my phone anymore, the ones that come with it that is. Here recently I had an issue with my phone and had to warranty swap it- so of course I had to unroot and return to stock! Wow, that was one awful experience. I no longer like the stock firmware at all :)

Really just depends on how much you like changing things and playing just because. I hate leaving things alone, no matter what it is.

Upvote 0
Security.

Always have everything backed up and recoverable if the SHTF. More options...Cyanogen is amazing, CM7 in particular and it's still in it's infancy if it can be called that. It's about always being on the cutting edge. We get now what everyone else gets months later thanks to a great bunch of devs that build for this phone. And we get it with more options for tweaking and customizing. Also we can use apps the average user cannot.

Another reason is simply to use the phone in the way it was designed before it gets crippled by Big Red or any other carrier for that matter. I hate spending good money on technology and having neutered down to what somebody else thinks should be accessible.

Upvote 0
I was skeptical for a long time, then got bored and tried it out. it was sooooo easy and its the best thing I couldve ever done for myself. I can now wifi tether my ps3, customize everything, and my phone runs smoother and faster. if you're worried about making changes try a stock ROM first, it keeps the sense feel and just lets you customize (who doesnt want toggles in the notifications bar?) what you want. I recommend SkyRaider 3.5. Plus just wait to you see what the guys have in store for SR4.0, its gonna rule! Do it you wont regret it.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Why should anyone convince you to root? You have root an Eris, so you know what there is. Read up here and xda and make your own decision. There are tons of "Why should I root" and "what are the benefits of root" and "what ROM should I use" threads here for you to read.

Do a little research and if there are still questions or thoughts you wish to ask or add, then do it.

Otherwise, we end up with a ton of the same threads with the same info.

Upvote 0
Don't root, I rooted my phone and I can never use it because I love flashing ROMs so much, it it so amazing that I wouldn't consider getting a new phone if the screen was bigger and battery life was better. I LOVE HAVING A ROOTED PHONE. It is so nice knowing that my phone is different from the person next to me, and I don't have vzw bs sucking on my battery all day.

Upvote 0
Forgive me for being repetitive, but:

If you need to be convinced to root, DO NOT ROOT! Rooting plays with the core system files on your phone. If you are not sure you want to root (regardless of what anyone else says), then do not do it. If/when you do root, learn what you are doing before the fact. Learn what is going on, what a kernel is, what a ROM is, what the cache is, etc. I swear most of the problems with computers (not just phones, so this is not aimed at anyone here) are caused by people doing something they were not knowledgeable enough to do. You do not have to be an expert, but at least know what is happening and what is being changed.

That being said, I strongly support rooting. My phone is rooted, and I would not have it any other way. I just think that people see rooting as a casual thing to do, and do not treat it as a big system altering operation that has a real (but not necessarily probable) chance at bricking your phone.

Just my thoughts,
Nkk

Upvote 0
It adds whatever you want it to do. With root access, you can program anything that is supported by the hardware. Now, if you cannot program, it does what other people have programmed, with the most common functions being:

Wireless tethering without the extra VZW fee (Wireless Tether)

Backups of app and app data so that after a factory wipe everything can be restored perfectly (Titanium backup)

Full backup of the whole system for whole system restores, i.e. disk imaging (Clockwork Mod Recovery)

Blocking ads in games/apps (adfree android and a couple of others)

New ROMS, i.e. firmware that can be flashed. Check out screenshots and reciews of CyanogenMod 6.1, MIUI, and SkyRaider to see a variety of what is out there. There are many ROMS out there, and each one has its own features and strengths.

-Nkk

Reactions: yomingjack
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones