• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

crap the x is no evo

Crude

Android Expert
Nov 26, 2009
Nexusville
I finally got some good hands on time on both the x and the evo and had I a choice I would take the evo. I like everything about the evo better with exception of the camera and the x's camera is still pitful when you compare it to a standalone camera from 5 years ago. I will not be getting the x as motorola has returned to it's roots. Here's to hoping motorola goes down in a ball of flames some day.

wtH are you talking about.
The camera is awesome. I've taken crystal clear videos and pics with mine.
and Moto has returned to its roots? Go grab a Moto phone from a few years back and compare it to a Moto phone from a few years back. The build quality is awesome, the camera is sweet, the display is incredible, the stock interface is alright.

I don't know what your issue is, but the X is a very sweet piece of Motorola goodness

Upvote 0
I was hoping for a comparative review when I saw the topic title, as I'm considering the Droid X and have been very, very impressed with the one I get to handle now and then owned by a co-worker (including what seems to be the best cell phone camera I've ever used).

But, somehow the last sentence in the OP jumped out as if it were printed in bold, rendering worthless all of what precedes it.

Upvote 0
Look at motorola as a company. Up until the droid they were failing. 1 because their software was buggy as hell and 2 because their hardware became utter crap. The Droid fixed that by 1 not using ANYTHING from motorola and 2 they actually but good hardware in the device.

Now that they've rebounded the phones turned back to plastic, the screen resolution dropped ( not to mention the xwvga screen which I can say out of experience is a nightmare. No one programs for a xwvga)

I think the biggest issue I have with the x is the physical buttons at the bottom of the screen. Your finger glides effortlessly about the screen performing tasks until you need one of those 4 button. You lightly tap a button and nothing happens...then you remember you actually have to put some pressure on the button, but to do this you have to reposition the other hand to counter act the force being applied to the button.

The camera has got to be the best phone camera availible....but when you compare it to a standalone camera it can't touch the quality. It's still just a phone camera. It has no image stabilization. It still doesn't handle low light shots very well...it's still just a phone camera. And that's the best feature of the phone.

HTC's sense is a much better overlay. I actually prefer the Droids plain Android over motoblur. I just like the feel, the quality, the shape the overall size to screen ration of the evo better. I realize this is very user specific...but I LOVE the kick stand on the evo. I'm constantly trying to lean my phone on things to watch videos.

I honestly was very excited to see the x but my disappointment can surely be read in the ton that I use in this post. I was equally skeptical about the evo and was taken back by how well it's designed. At least neither of them have the slide out keyboard!

On a side note I'm actually very interested to find out why Verizon never has the top of the line HTC until it's not top of the line anymore?

Upvote 0
That's more like it, as far as a comparative review, Crude; thank you for that.

As far as your remarks and opinions about Motorola, I think there is a bit of hyperbole in declaring that company anything approaching failing. They were slipping in shares back around late 2005, but the Razr changed all that.

These days their inclusion of Android based products has propelled them to strong contention with HTC.

Upvote 0
That's more like it, as far as a comparative review, Crude; thank you for that.

As far as your remarks and opinions about Motorola, I think there is a bit of hyperbole in declaring that company anything approaching failing. They were slipping in shares back around late 2005, but the Razr changed all that.

These days their inclusion of Android based products has propelled them to strong contention with HTC.

Well then you have to see the trend also? Motorola sucked>razr.....motorola sucked>droid.....motorola....

I suppose it's too early to tell how motorola is going to handle this round but the X is no contender for king of Android.

Upvote 0
I was handling an X and an Evo yesterday.. the Evo slight difference in shape seemed attractive to me, but the X beat it in responsiveness, just slightly. I was thinking that the Evo would be the quicker one, for some reason.

I think the Droid X most certainly can be described as a "contender" for top of the Android lineup, which is a point of personal opinion after all of the specs are hashed out in a discussion about all these Androids.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones