• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Crashes & gives SD card error on restart

rspmobile

Lurker
Sep 1, 2011
This is probably the worst issue I have had with my LG Ally.

About every week my phone will crash, I've replaced the SD card once already. One was a Lexar 4gb and this one is a Sandisk 2gb.

It hasn't crashed the same way twice
Keyboard locks up (did this twice)
Key acts like it stuck
Screen stops functioning
Shortcuts sends me to random location (messaging shortcut was sending me to call logs, contacts sending me to settings, ect.)

After restarting, it tells me either there was an error with the SD Card or it has been removed. The card is still in the slot and secure. I reinsert the card. Then the phone and card works fine.

What!? :thinking:

Anyone have that same problem?

My wife has this phone. She was having the same issues. From my massive internet research, lots of other people have this problem and there really is no "fix" for it. It kept saying "Damaged SD Card." and that she had to format it. This wasn't the case because you could pull it out of the phone and plug it into a PC and it would work just fine.

That being said, I was tired of her complaining and decided to root her phone and flash Velocity ROM onto it. The problems that were occuring with the stock setup haven't occured in the past 3 weeks.

Upvote 0
This is a common issue with some people. I have this also and its pretty much unfixable but lately i havent been seeing it with Velocity 1.2. It was doing it on 1.1 and stock especially. Its not a connection issue with the SDCARD and some say it may be due to overclocking the phone or it may be an issue with the class of card you are using. I was using a class 10 8gb and it fried the card after a few months of glitching like that. It was not able to format even on the pc, so I put the stock one back in and aside from the unexpected restarts and card errors I just live with it. Once it did it while i was in a call but froze up instead of restarting showing the same message on the top of the screen. I had to pull the battery and restart. Ive had some data corruption issues too. If someone has a fix for this please let us know, although I havent seen it on velocity 1.2 though, so I might have been discovered and fixed.

Upvote 0
This looks like a good place to reiterate that it is not a good idea to ever "dismount" the SD card and remove it from the Ally when it is under power. I learned early on that can cause this SD card 'damage' issue. Another problem I had was that I was removing the card after a shutdown and with the battery removed, but the USB adapter I had been using to access the card from my PC was in fact defective. I bought a new USB adapter and the problems eased up a lot. I have not had to replace the card since then. But I DO still see issues now and then. The last time it told me the card was bad I removed it, shot some air into the slot, and then reinserted it (all from a powered down/battery removed state) and powered back on. The card was fine, and I did not lose any data. It seems to be best to use the original USB cable that came with the Ally, and connect it DIRECTLY to a USB port on the PC you want to use for access. Do NOT use a hub in between! I have also tried other cables and had problems with them losing the USB connection to the SD card. Only the OEM cable seems to be reliable for me.

About those stuck keys -- I had not mentioned it yet on the Velocity 1.2.1 thread, but I have had that happen twice since flashing 1.2.1. Each time it is as if a key is stuck down, but it is NOT a key I happened to be pressing at the time (this only happened while I was typing on the Ally). The last time it was the "9" key. I forget which key the first time, but I think it was a letter. When it happens I have to pull the battery. I can't make it stop any other way. The Power on/off key won't shut down the Ally when it is doing this. Both times the Ally has been fine after a restart. No idea what is causing this. I should mention I do have the aloha key file edit which disables the QWERTY keypad's home key edited just as I did under Velocity 1.1. But I don't think that is related to the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones