• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Crazy car-charger pricing....

kbayer

Android Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2009
Houston, Tx
I haven't bought one yet, but I've seen them dangling from display stands, posted on Ebay, the check-out line of the corner drug store, gas stations...

I've seen them from 76 cents at Amazon to $35 for multi-use chargers.

Are they all pretty much the same thing, or are there recommended brands or models that work better than others?

I have seen people who have had no problem with bargain priced car chargers, I personally stick with OE or reputable brands. I had some wierd issues when I used a friends cheap chargers. My screen went haywire and did not respond to touch. I had to reboot after unplugging the charger.

I have a Igo car charger for my HTC hero. They have a tip for the droid as well that will output the proper Mah to keep your phone charging even while using apps that are a heavy drain on the battery. You can get the Igo charger plus tip for under $30 from Radio Shack

Upvote 0
I finally got fed up with having to get car chargers for every different device, so I bought an inexpensive (~$20) power inverter. Now I can charge anything that plugs into a regular power outlet. And since pretty much all devices come with a wall-adapter, I no longer have to buy car chargers at all.

Problem solved!

Upvote 0
This one will work and it is only a buck and change, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
use it with the usb cable that came with your phone, this one will output up to 1000ma which is more than the phone needs. The problems people experience with funky displays, etc. are when they use ones that only output 500ma. The charger that comes with the phone is rated up to 850ma, so using anything less than 850ma will likely cause slow charging and or funky behavior, or even power drain. Using a charger that is rated at higher than 850 is not a problem, as the phone will only draw what it needs. It is when it can't get what it needs that you run into problems.

Upvote 0
This one will work and it is only a buck and change, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
use it with the usb cable that came with your phone, this one will output up to 1000ma which is more than the phone needs. The problems people experience with funky displays, etc. are when they use ones that only output 500ma. The charger that comes with the phone is rated up to 850ma, so using anything less than 850ma will likely cause slow charging and or funky behavior, or even power drain. Using a charger that is rated at higher than 850 is not a problem, as the phone will only draw what it needs. It is when it can't get what it needs that you run into problems.

I bought that one as well from Monoprice.. have not had any issues with the phone not getting charged while in the car.. even using GPS. However I also bought a longer USB cable (like $2) so I wasn't stuck with the short stock one while in the car. Bought an additional adapter for my gf's Droid Eris and it also is working flawlessly.

I will mention this though, when I first got the adapter I plugged everything in and the Droid never said it was charging.. I was so mad cause I thought it was defective. Then I realized I had forgotten that when the Droid doesn't need a charge.. it won't state it is charging while plugged in (or any notification of being plugged in for that matter.).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones