• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Creating a boot animation, start to finish.

After months of people asking..here you go. I will clean this up a bit and fine tune it over the next week but this should get some of you going.

The following is a start to finish how to via the method that I create boot animations. I can't take full credit, as I have found bits and pieces here an there. I just put them all together..in one place. This isn't an easy process, and does require quite a bit of time.

Tools you will need
DVD Videosoft Studio
Gimp or Paint.net or fotosizer
Zip file creator like 7zip

So get all the programs dloaded and installed and figure out what you want to use for your animation.

You can use images or a clip of video.

We will begin with a youtube video. Youdoofus has supplied us with an excellent specimen.
YouTube - Doin' Your Mom - with dancing cat

A. Downloading a video (Skip these steps if using some other video. Go to B.)
Open the video studio
Click Youtube
Then Youtube download
Paste the link of the video you want to use
Click download (bottom right)
Close out of the Download screen, un check all of the boxes in the pop-up otherwise the program does install web toolbars.

B. Extracting Images from any video. (Skip to C if you already have images.)
Open the video studio
Click on Photo and Images
Free Video to Jpeg
Browse to you video file
Select the option (I use every frame so I can pic and choose)
Close studio, remember to un check the boxes

C. Convert Images
Create a folder on your desktop and put your images in it.
Use you photo edit tool of choice. I use fotosizer, it allows batch.
Select your size. For the Evo use 480x800
Choose Destination Folder I always create a new folder
Output as .png
Filename mask should be %f (the other options never work for me)
Choose add images
Highlight all of the images
Click Start
Now open the new folder of converted images (you can delete the originals folder from the first step above)
Right click on the first image and select rename
Rename in numerical order 0001 pressing tab after you are done..until you reach the end. I don't use more than 100 images. Small groups like this can be repeated. I only pulled 15 images from the video. We will have it loop in the script below.

D. Building the bootanimaton.zip
Create two folders, named part0 and part1
part0 will contain a single, display once png and part1 would contain the animation images. You can play with different scenarios here...ie loop images until boot is complete or loop once and stop on one last image. I will get more details together soon.
Place animation files in part1 folder and a "frozen image" in part0 if you choose to set it up that way.

We need to tell the animation what to do with this type of txt file
480 800 60
p 0 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

again
The boot animation is stored on your phone as a zip file in the folder /system/media. It consists of 2 folders part0 and part1 and a description text file (desc.txt). Both part0 and part1 folders contain animation frames as PNG files. part0 folder contains those frames which are animated only once, where as part1 folder contains the looped(repeated) frames. The desc.txt file contains the animation settings such as fps (number of frames per second), width, height, times to be played, pause time etc you can change up a lot here.

Ctrl+ select the part0 file the part1 and the desc text file and right click.
Select 7zip or your zip program and then "add to blahblahblah.zip" Make sure to do .zip and not the other choices. Make sure your default settings are for no compression.

Rename the file bootanimation.zip (remember not to name it .zip.zip) I keep a few animations on my sd car in a file called "booty" so I typically put something in front like kitty_bootanimation.zip so i know which is which.

Put the file on your sd card.
Use root explorer to navigate to system.media and rename the current boot animation to whatever you want.
Now copy your new animation from the sd card to system.media

In some cases the animation will be located at system.customize.resource

To add an audio clip use any mp3, renamed android_audio.mp3 and put it in the same place as your animation. Keep in mind audio doesn't work on all roms. You may also need to adjust the length. I use Audacity for that on the pc, and there are a number of ringtone trimmers that will do it on the phone.

one of many sites that helped me get all of this..I will add the rest as I find them lol
Create Custom Boot Animation For Rooted Droid [How To]

OK I found the SOLUTION TO ALL OF OUR BOOT LOADER problems here is the XDA developers Boot loader application for Windows
[TOOL] HTC EVO Boot Replacer - xda-developers

Bad ass is the word that come to mind.

Upvote 0
How would I do this for a video what format does it have to be so it will play the video as for the boot screen.

I don't follow...a boot animation is a series of image files that the phone plays in the order you have chosen and instructed with the desc file. So the video doesn't really matter you are pulling images out of it. It's basically a flip book with part 0 and 1...

Upvote 0
I don't follow...a boot animation is a series of image files that the phone plays in the order you have chosen and instructed with the desc file. So the video doesn't really matter you are pulling images out of it. It's basically a flip book with part 0 and 1...

Ok so than where would I put the video and what format and than what do I do with desc file. And are you telling me that with video I would not have to go through process of putting it through the video editor to get all the images that have to be seperated or do I dont have to go through that step. This is what Iam trying to figure out.

Upvote 0
Ok so than where would I put the video and what format and than what do I do with desc file. And are you telling me that with video I would not have to go through process of putting it through the video editor to get all the images that have to be seperated or do I dont have to go through that step. This is what Iam trying to figure out.

Yes you need to pull images from the video to make your animation. The images should be pngs and the desc file gets zipped up with the image files and name the zip bootanimation.zip and place it in system/media or system/resources depending on what type of rom you are on.

Upvote 0
Yes you need to pull images from the video to make your animation. The images should be pngs and the desc file gets zipped up with the image files and name the zip bootanimation.zip and place it in system/media or system/resources depending on what type of rom you are on.

Ok where do I get descfile and what format does the video have to
be in or I guess it doesnt matter.

Upvote 0
Sorry but this the first time doing this. Where would I get a workung boot animation desc. Can you explain it in detail or show it me thank you.

The first page tells you how to make one...use a root explorer to navigate to system/media or system/resource and find the bootanimation.zip and copy it to your sd card and then your laptop and extract the desc from it.

Upvote 0
Ok this has been driving me Insane all day how do you just archive. I have many animations I have made ready to be put into my phone and I cant becuase I dont know how to just archive and make a zip file from that without compressing by right clicking on all three files the two folders and desc file this is just ******ed.

I kept on not understanding what was wrong because I kept on getting a blank screen so please some one tell me how to do this. Because in the Options of 7zip it doesnt have the option to store

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones