• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Credentials in plain text

aurora40

Android Enthusiast
May 20, 2012
Virginia
After the password breach/notification banner, I started to look a bit closer at things. When logging into AF, it is not over SSL (I'm sure the reason for that is money). But more than that, it POSTs the password in plain text. I believe vBulletin allows for sending MD5-hashed credentials instead, it may just need a configuration change.

Granted this is still in plain text over the wire, but you are giving up more info with the unhashed password. Anyone with my password can also get the hash, and possibly can get other passwords/security questions/social-engineer more info about me. Anyone with the hash cannot reasonably get my password, they can only get access to AndroidForums as me.

Reactions: EarlyMon
After the password breach/notification banner, I started to look a bit closer at things. When logging into AF, it is not over SSL (I'm sure the reason for that is money). But more than that, it POSTs the password in plain text. I believe vBulletin allows for sending MD5-hashed credentials instead, it may just need a configuration change.

Granted this is still in plain text over the wire, but you are giving up more info with the unhashed password. Anyone with my password can also get the hash, and possibly can get other passwords/security questions/social-engineer more info about me. Anyone with the hash cannot reasonably get my password, they can only get access to AndroidForums as me.

Thank you. We are working out a solution for this.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones