• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Curious, next high-end Android???

If money weren't an issue, I'd definitely look into the Nexus S unlocked, off-contract. But money is an issue. Personally, as much as Samsung's pissed me off with their delays on Froyo and I think they're likely to lag on future updates too, I gotta say that once the ROMs are available, just flash and enjoy the superior hardware. Hell, this is Android, the whole point of it is that we don't need to wait for some company to upgrade our software, there are entire dev teams out there ready and willing to do it and all they ask is a beer donation through paypal, and even that's optional.

Sticking w my Captivate until I get the contract upgrade at least. But as far as Android devices overall go, I'm definitely considering getting myself a some Honeycomb tablet goodness.

Upvote 0
If money weren't an issue, I'd definitely look into the Nexus S unlocked, off-contract.

I wouldn't. No expandable storage via MicroSD? Instantly off my list.

Part of the reason I went to Android was to get away from "our way or the highway" attitudes. Having to buy a new device just to get more storage in 2011 is inexcusable. Even my 5+ year-old Motorola flip phone had a memory card slot.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't. No expandable storage via MicroSD? Instantly off my list.

Its already 16 GB. Our Captivates come with 16 stock and although we can add more, I've never found a need. And thats with a fairly extensive music collection and a couple of 720p movies thrown on there already. Yeah, the option to add some storage would be a perk, but considering I don't use that much for starters (and if money weren't a factor, I'd have a Xoom or G-Slate to store a lot of the additional files I'd want to carry w me) it's not a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Its already 16 GB. Our Captivates come with 16 stock and although we can add more, I've never found a need. And thats with a fairly extensive music collection and a couple of 720p movies thrown on there already. Yeah, the option to add some storage would be a perk, but considering I don't use that much for starters (and if money weren't a factor, I'd have a Xoom or G-Slate to store a lot of the additional files I'd want to carry w me) it's not a deal breaker.

16GB may be enough for you, but not for everyone. I would like to have my whole music collection on my phone, but with it approaching 28GB, that wouldn't be possible on a Nexus S.

Secondly, I like to have an external card for other reasons than storage expansion:
1. Transferring files to another mobile phone, like when I transferred an album from my phone to my brother's Nokia using the microSD.
2. Reliable memory that won't crash when the phone does. I store pictures and video on my microSD so I don't lose them if my phone stops working.
3. Because an iPhone doesn't have one. I love adding that to the laundry list of features my phone has that an iPhone doesn't when an iPhone Fanboy tries to pretend his phone is the only phone worth having.

Upvote 0
The Captivate's internal 16GB is divided into the 14GB "internal SD" (not really an SD at all, just treated that way) and the 2GB for apps.
Storage - CapFAQ

And like mnemonicj said, it's not just about having more storage. It's about having safe, removable storage. The fact that you can use the MicroSD card to safely untie data files from the phone's hardware is invaluable. I have my Titanium Backup do my backups to it every night, knowing that if my phone craps out my data can be safely retrieved. When the USB port on my original Captivate shit the bed, this saved me.

What the Captivate should have done was instead of having 14GB hard-wired in, simply come with a 16GB MicroSD card in the slot.

That said... I certainly use more than 16GB personally (podcasts, music, photos, movies, etc).

Upvote 0
What the Captivate should have done was instead of having 14GB hard-wired in, simply come with a 16GB MicroSD card in the slot.

I can see your point, but honestly... I like having both. The internal memory I like having so I can load it up with music and movies from my hard drive. Stuff that I have already on my hard drive, and have no problem losing. I have everything (pics, videos, attachments) from the phone saved to my SD card. This way if my phone shits the bed on me, I already have copies of everything on the internal memory at home....and everything I may not have backed up yet is on a removable memory card.

I like having the free 16 gigs and the option to add more memory. Coming from an iPhone 4, I appreciate this,

Upvote 0
I have no issue with both either. But it's caused a lot of confusion in the marketplace as well as with apps as many still don't understand the concept of a fake "internal SD" and a real "external SD". Standard Android just has the SD as a real SD mounted under sdcard/ and you'll still find plenty of apps hard-coded for this. People think of the SD as the external SD and get frustrated that the app is only referring to the internal 14GB as the "SD card".

Not to mention that the path to this external SD then changed between Android 2.1 and 2.2, causing even more issues...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones