1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

custom email notification ringtomes

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by hedhntr, Aug 9, 2012.

1. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

does anyone know how to change your email notification sound to something other than the defaults that come with the phone.? I have a number of downloaded ringtones and have been able to use one for phone's ringtone but can't seem to access them when trying to change my email notification sound.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Depends on what phone you are using and what email app.

3. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

thanks for replying...it is an s3...not exactly sure what you mean by email app? It is my business email address on my own domain. I just chose the email option when adding an account

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The application on your phone to open your email. If you didn't download a different one, like K9 or Maildroid, you're probably using the default Samsung email app. Go to that, then long press on an account among those listed, then choose "account settings". There should be an option under there for notification tones.

hedhntr likes this.
  5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

Open the email app. Then menu -> settings and there should be an option in there to change the notification

hedhntr likes this.
  6. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

there is no option to change notification

7. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

I went into my email accounts through settings but I do not get an option for account settings when I long hold the account I want to change notifications on

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I think you made a mistake. I use a Samsung device with touchwiz too, so we're supposed to have similar settings. For some reason I seem to think you made a wrong turn somewhere. :) Did you go into Settings>Accounts and Sync? Or Did you go to Email>Menu>Settings? You should go through the latter, then open the account settings for each account.

9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

You used to have to make a folder for media>audio>ringtones, notifications on the earlier Galaxy phones.

I've just trasferred that folder over to any new phone and have always been able to set custom tones.

10. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

i am sorry but I dont know what you mean by go to email/menu/settings. I was doing the former. Do you mean I open my email client and then hit the menu key and then go to settings? I have tried that and still only see the default sounds...can't access the ones on my sd card

11. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

unfortunately for me this is my first galaxy phone, my ringtones are on my sd card. I am able to access them for my ringtones but my only options for sound with email are the default sounds on the phone

12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

No - regular/main settings> sounds. My phone has ringtones and notification settings a tad differently since I'm rooted and using Cyanogen

I put the media folder on the card via the computer.

13. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

Thanks but i am not really sure if you are telling me what I should do or if you are telling me what you did

14. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Oh wait, you mean the ringtones you want to use are still in the SD card? You need to put them on the folder where ringtones are supposed to go. Might not be able to help you there since folder structure on ICS is different than on what I have.

15. hedhntr

hedhntr Newbie

ok thanks for your help. I have installed maildroid and almost figured it out but there's a glitch Joe is aware of and apparantely has it on his fix list.