• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom rom help

Solution
Yes, it's rooted. I don't know the brand, but the manufacturer is X20, when searched I saw Nokia X20 come up, so perhaps I could try Nokia? I apologize if I'm being absolutely stupid currently, I am curious
well custom roms are very device specific. you need to make sure you have the right device and that the rom is for your specific device. flashing a custom rom not made foir your device could have very bad consequences.
Hello! I have an android 7 tablet model G18ZK10 and I was wondering, could I install a custom rom on it? I'd like to change the rom and android version to 9 or 10. It runs on mediatek.
you need to root it first. what tablet do you have? not all devices can be rooted. and you can't just go to version 9 or 10. the only way to get to android 10 would be to see if the development team for lineage os has support for your device or not. lineage os is an aosp custom rom (android open source project). back in the day the main aosp rom was cyanogenmod which in turn eventually evolved into lineage os.

if there is no lineage os rom for your device than you are sol. but you can develop a lineage os rom yourself if you want to learn how to code.

Last edited:
Reactions: Member 2180368
Upvote 0
Yes, it's rooted. I don't know the brand, but the manufacturer is X20, when searched I saw Nokia X20 come up, so perhaps I could try Nokia? I apologize if I'm being absolutely stupid currently, I am curious
well custom roms are very device specific. you need to make sure you have the right device and that the rom is for your specific device. flashing a custom rom not made foir your device could have very bad consequences.

Reactions: Member 2180368
Upvote 0
Solution
have you looked at in your tablet settings under about device? we just need to find the tablet name and manufacturer.

Upvote 0
have you looked at in your tablet settings under about device? we just need to find the tablet name and manufacturer.
Hello, here's the info I could find:
Manufacturer: X20
Model: G18ZK10
Version: android 7.0 Nougat
I hard reset the tablet, it's also not rooted.
Please ask me for more info if needed ofc

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I'm going to suggest you just abandon trying to upgrade this particular tablet to a newer version of Android. Given there's so many missing details about just what make and model it is, trying to upgrade its firmware going by assumptions and guessing is likely to result in just bricking it. Really, firmware is very device specific, there is very little if any leeway. Flash the wrong version from a different manufacturer could soft-brick it if you're lucky (... in that situation you need to flash the correct stock firmware to restore it back to working condition), but if you're not lucky, you could hard-brick it and then it's game over (... the incorrect firmware corrupted the bootloader and/or Recovery). Which leads to another important point, you really need to have the correct, stock firmware available before trying to root your tablet and then flash a custom ROM on to it. That's pretty much a priority, and even more so when it's the first time you attempt to do it. It's a risky task even when you have done it few times.

Just as an aside, looking up 'x20 tablet' popped up one from Onda, one from ABCTech, and one from Kubi
The one from Kubi is apparently the one from X20, but it's important to actually have definitive information. Specifics are important, assumptions not so much. Anyway, when the manufacturer doesn't provide a readily available stock ROM and for lessor class devices there's typically little to no third-party developers creating usable custom ROMs, the best option is to just lower your expectations and accept this tablet model will run Nougat.

Upvote 0
........I hard reset the tablet, it's also not rooted.
Please ask me for more info if needed ofc
wait is it rooted or not? your 1st sentence says it is and you 2nd to last mentions that it is not......so which is it? lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones