• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custome Rom including Live Wallpapers

Welcome Merkman. Just v quickly though - I'm not entirely sure what the story is with these custom Roms and the Telus milestones. My understanding is that they haven't been "broken open" since they're so new and have a little bit more security on them.

You might want to ask the guys here whether you can install the Pulsar Rom on your Telus phone...if not, I wouldn't worry. Official 2.1 is just around the corner :)

Actually, it's that link that brought me to THIS one. So the way folks are talking, it sounds like I should be able to use 1.2.1 and the 1.2.1 update on my Telus Milestone once it arrives.

That said, I wonder if the Pulsar rom includes the Radio or not. I know when I upgraded my HTC Touch Cruise on multiple occasions... there wasn't a radio included with the ROM upgrade. That way, you'd keep settings that worked best for your provider, your area, etc. That seems KEY with the Telus Motorola Milestone, as upgrading the radio might change settings to try and work with T-Mobile's data network, and prevent my Telus from working on AT&T.

Upvote 0
I've tried loading TelloROM_V2 which I don't like. The default highlight color is blue and the icons are kinda ugly. Also I don't like the skin which wants to be sort of a glass theme from Vista - ugh.
Right now I'm using the Pulsar_1-2 custom rom with the update and it works fine. Nothing to scream about. It's just a rom with integrated 2.1 apps. I'll still be using Home++ as a replacement for the home screen as I prefer the 3 home screen setup to the default 5 for the 2.1 launcher.

Otherwise everything works fine.

A quick how-to for loading the custom rom:
- download the ZIP file with the custom rom
- connect your milestone to your computer using USB
- extract the content of the ZIP file to the root of your memory card (the ZIP file contains an update.zip file, a directory called hiapkUpdate with the update files and a readme in German) - all three things should be in the root directory of your memory card (well, you can leave out the readme.txt)
- turn off your milestone
- turn on your milestone by holding the camera shutter and the power button until you see an exclamation mark within a triangle
- then press the volume up and shutter button
- clear the user and cache data (you can move through the menu and confirm selections with the d-pad)
- then choose update with update.zip
- after a short while the phone should say the update was successful and you can then reboot by choosing the reboot option from the menu
- the reboot will take a while so be patient as the phone has to go through the initial setup process
- I think you know how to go on after that

I hope this helps ... I'm still waiting for the official 2.1 release for the milestone but until then I'll use this custom ROM.

BTW, I didn't do a nand backup and everything went through flawlessly. That doesn't mean you can't brick your phone, so be careful!

Hey guys. New here. I'm a US user and I just bought a milestone. I've been looking for 2.1 roms for the milestone and I"m really excited to try this. I just have a few questions.

How do I do a nand backup?
And what is RSD Lite? Where do i get it? How do I use it?
Is the Pulsar Rom, a modification like the cyanogenmod?
Is there anything like cyanogenmod for the Milestone?
How do i root my milestone?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
1. Read Nandroid v2.0 - Full NAND backup and restore tool (tried and tested!) - xda-developers
2. Read RSDLite - download here - Motorola Development Community
3. No, the Pulsar ROM keeps the bootloader intact because it is locked on the Milestone. The Pulsar ROM is actually a bundle of replacement software.
4. AFAIK no, it's not yet possible because the bootloader is locked.
5. Read How to root the Motorola MILESTONE - Know Your Mobile
And before you ask, the rooting process also works on the Pulsar ROMs.

Google is your friend!

Reactions: MarioNico
Upvote 0
1. Read Nandroid v2.0 - Full NAND backup and restore tool (tried and tested!) - xda-developers
2. Read RSDLite - download here - Motorola Development Community
3. No, the Pulsar ROM keeps the bootloader intact because it is locked on the Milestone. The Pulsar ROM is actually a bundle of replacement software.
4. AFAIK no, it's not yet possible because the bootloader is locked.
5. Read How to root the Motorola MILESTONE - Know Your Mobile
And before you ask, the rooting process also works on the Pulsar ROMs.

Google is your friend!

Hey thanks Fejker. i'm gonna go ahead and try it now.

Upvote 0
Any of you guys having the same problems as i do? I just installed the pulsar rom. everything seems to be fine except when i go into that app screen (the one that has all the apps) while my keyboard is open, the layout seems to be off. the home icon is slightly to the left and doesnt take me back to home, and all the other app icons seem a little high.

also, i've been trying to figure out how to do an rsd flash to go back. i installed the latest rsd lite and downloaded the usb drivers from motodev, however, it can't seem detect my phone.

any ideas? thanks.

my pulsar rom is 1.2.1

UPDATE:
Finally figured out how to flash back to 2.0.1 using RSD Lite.

Upvote 0
So as a Telus owner for almost a week, have we decided if:

1) it's safe to apply the Pulsar "Rom" to my phone?

2) Will it even apply?

3) Will I loose US 3G?

And I believe some of you preferred three screens to the five. But my 3 screens are nearly full, so I'd LOVE to try the 5. Is that an option without a rooted device? Clearly I'm not rooted, so I can't get VPN to work at work, and I'm limited as to what I can install.

Upvote 0
I have no experience with 1), 2) and 3) and I'd play it safe if I were you.

The fact is that the Pulsar "ROM" doesn't change the bootloader, just the core apps are changed so maybe it might work.

I can help you with the homescreen limitation - just install Home++ (it's free and you can find it in the market) and you can have up to 7 homescreens if you wish. You can customize it to look better than the stock homescreen. If the quick launch icons at the bottom of the screen bother you, you can remove them and you can also make the notification bar show all the time. Just play with the settings and set it up the way you want it.

Upvote 0
So as a Telus owner for almost a week, have we decided if:

1) it's safe to apply the Pulsar "Rom" to my phone?

2) Will it even apply?

3) Will I loose US 3G?

I looked this up over at Droidforums and while technically the Pulsar ROM does not require root, the ability to use a custom update.zip, root, perform nandroid backups and other mods relies on the vulnerability found in the 1.14 recovery. The Telus Milestone uses a different recovery so for you to be able to use the Pulsar ROM, you must take note of the following:

1. You will need to flash and SBF file with the 1.14 recovery (South American is recommended as it has the same 3G bands) before you apply the Pulsar ROM.

2. You will lose US 3G.

With that, I don't recommend that you try to use the ROM unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Better to wait for 2.1 OTA or at least til someone with a Telus Milestone successfully applies the ROM.

And I believe some of you preferred three screens to the five. But my 3 screens are nearly full, so I'd LOVE to try the 5. Is that an option without a rooted device? Clearly I'm not rooted, so I can't get VPN to work at work, and I'm limited as to what I can install.

If you're fine with the stock home, and all you want is additional screens, you may try Launcher+. If you want to change the look of your screens there are a lot to choose from such as Home++, GDE, dxTop, PandaHome, OpenHome, SlideScreen, etc. All of these are available at the Market.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the above guys. Saw Fejker's post first and downloaded Home++ right away. Was disappointed at first, as I wasn't sure I liked the Home++ screen. But I couldn't go back to the Home screen without loosing the extra screens, and after a couple hours I didn't think anything of it. Did make it leave the bar at the top of the screen for updates, etc. The phone just feels naked without it! ;)

Currently running 6 screens, as I found an Xbox 360 Avatar app and have a screen JUST for all those Avatars. ;) But I think I can condence to 5 today and I'll be quite happy.

Just for giggles... has anyone found a good TV app? TV.com would be GREAT if the app was made for the Milestone and our HD screens. As it is the videos too small and looks fuzzy cause it wasn't written for the 800+ resolution. I will say I LOVE watching videos on YouTube in High Quality mode. AT&T's 3G buffers great, and the video is SO clear. Just wish I could find somewhere with episodes of House I could stream to my phone with the same quality. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones