1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Customize the Back of your Moto DROID's screen!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads' started by blue rocket, Dec 6, 2009.

1. meekrab

meekrab Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    biochemist
    RTP
    Thanks for updating the picture samples. That carbon fiber looks great. How thick is the vinyl (if even just relative to the factory plastic) ? There was a substantial difference in my slider after I removed the plastic, which translates to a small tolerance for added thickness. I think the width of the android cutout is small enough to avoid the friction points on the back of the screen, which are exactly the width of and directly below the two notches on the top of the screen, just fyi.

Advertisement

2. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    SF, CA
    i'm sort of embarrassed to say i think this is really cool (no offense meant). where can we see all the designs available and what's the policy on custom designs (monochrome gif or something)?

3. bigbill25

bigbill25 Newbie
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Portland, OR
    How do you buy the cut outs? On you site, it looks like only the full sized sheets are available. Would like that lime green android!

--Bill

4. zandroid

zandroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 2, 2009
    Student
    Los Angeles
    I'd buy the offsent android in lime green, how do we order those in your pics?

5. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL
    Amazing!!

I'll definitely be buying a couple after christmas. :D

6. soulesschild

soulesschild Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Is it possible to get the gold colored one but have it cover the whole thing? So have the gold android but the rest of it clear or is that too expensive?

7. leviatus

leviatus Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Count me in as another one interested in the Lime Green Android offset overlay. :)

8. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    The one from Verizon that I got on launch day when I bought the phone. I would like to replace it with a cool cover if it was made the same as the one I currently have.

9. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I just saw the picture of the Bearcat design. That looks fantastic! I am now officially more excited about this than I am the update!!!!!!!

I will let blue rocket explain the details on custom ordering but it was very easy. As you can tell, I just submitted my design yesterday and I have already accepted and paid for it. As long as I have it before I leave for New Orleans at the end of the month, life will be perfect! (It doesn't take much to make me happy. A UC win over Florida will seal it!)

10. blue rocket

blue rocket Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    DBA, Sticker Co. Owner / Graphic Designer
    CT
    Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

I'll try to answer some questions...

Right now, only the OEM style overlays are available. I will add another drop down soon (with preview images) where you can choose the style of the overlay...or at least something of that nature.

Custom orders vary in price depending on the complexity of the design and whether or not you can provide us an image to work with. Something like the Bearcats logo was very easy and the logo is readily available on the internet, so it makes my life much easier. We only work with single color vinyl...so there can't be elaborate designs on the overlay (check out the bearcat design for an example...we simply cut out the logo so it appears black).

Anyway, I do the designing as more of a hobby in my free time (so bear with me on the updates....i'll try my best to at least get the new designs I showed you up and available ASAP).

thanks again everyone for the great feedback, any other ideas you have I will definitely entertain.

11. blue rocket

None

Dec 6, 2009
    CT
    Personally, I didnt notice a difference when removing my OEM sticker...i also feel no difference when using one of my overlays. However, i'm sure certain Droids may have less, or more tolerance and actually may increase the friction when using an overlay. I would say that most, if not all folks will not notice a difference either way -- if they do it's most likely in their head!

Right now only the OEM replacement is available...more will be soon, hang tight. These are made of a 7 year vinyl...they will be more robust...but I can't say that you wont see scuff marks, i'm sure they will accumulate over time. These are a much higher quality material than the almost paper thin stuff that came on the Droid.

If you can send us a custom order via the website and attach the AI you have that would be perfect. I'll see if I can get a template set up for custom orders down the road.

It's coming soon... it will be available by the next update.

All depends on the design, submit a custom order and please be as descripitve as possible. thanks!

12. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL

I sent you a PM regarding this. I would be looking for just something like maybe neon blue with a cutout of my username "Fadelight" in some sort of font. Something that looks good. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Pretty simple in nature, though.

13. blue rocket

None

Dec 6, 2009
    CT
    ^ i believe you were looking for something to be printed on the vinyl in the PM (that we cannot do). But what you just mentioned above is doable...you'll need to submit a custom order via out website and let us know what font you'd like.

thanks!

14. UFSexyMexy

UFSexyMexy Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Definitely gonna hold out for the Droid logo lettering or even a white and red DROID DOES would be cool, font might end up looking a little small tho.

15. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    You can only think in terms of black and another color. The back of the Droid is black so if you have a cut-out design, the design becomes black. In the case of the green droid. He is the cut-out on the black Droid background but you wouldn't be able to do a green droid on a white background (unless you want to paint the back of the phone and I don't think I would recommend that!)

16. barry99705

barry99705 Android Expert
    None

Hey dude, what plotter are you using to cut out the vinyl?

17. blue rocket

None

Dec 6, 2009
    CT
  18. bigmahlman

bigmahlman Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    how bout them bearcats. Undefeated!

19. zandroid

zandroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 2, 2009
    Student
    Los Angeles
    Just ordered two.. lime green offset droid and red straight droid $4 +$2, $10 total, not bad.

I'll post pics when I get em on.

20. Fronc

Fronc Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    J.D./M.B.A. Candidate, Seton Hall Law
    Newark, NJ
    Just ordered a Droid Offset vinyl, in BLACK. I think the subtle contrast will be just cool enough to be noticed, without totally popping out. Almost as if it came like that from the factory.

Thanks!

21. brettlewis

brettlewis Android Expert
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    Arizona
    why does OEM replacment style have the square cut out of it?

22. JonKyu

JonKyu Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Wow, I've never thought about customizing the back of the screen! Nice idea! I think the android head popping out is cute lol. I'd buy one but I just can't get myself to cover the pristine back.

One idea, how about the Droid eye as one of the designs? I think that'd be really cool!! I'd consider buying that one!

23. kmfdmk

kmfdmk Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Bomb Technician / Computer Nerd
    Vancouver, WA / Louisville, KY
    Perhaps because it's designed to be just like the vinyl on the phone as it came supplied from the OEM.

24. blue rocket

None

Dec 6, 2009
    CT
    exactly...i made the OEM replacement version the exact size and shape of the sticker that comes on the phone from the factory!

25. barry99705

barry99705 Android Expert
    None

Wasn't that cutout there to give the ribbon cable that attaches the screen to the base room to flex?