• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM beta

junkie2100

Android Expert
Mar 11, 2012
this is an unfinished copy of cwm, tested to be almost completely functional

standard warnings apply, use at your own risk, you try to blame me for breaking your phone i will laugh at you

instructions:
fastboot method is possible, but i will go through the terminal/adb method

download the recovery file, and put it on the root of your sd. no folders, just directly on the sd

get your phone rooted and get a copy of terminal emulator or connect to it through adb on your computer, adb will require zte drivers and the adb program on the pc. the choice is yours

fire up adb by typing
Code:
adb shell
in the command prompt, if its not working you dont have adb in the directory youre in, just copy adb.exe and the two .dll files to c:\windows\system32\ and itll work from anywhere, or learn how command prompt works
or fire up terminal emulator on the phone

on adb shell or terminal emulator type
Code:
su
dd if=/sdcard/flash_cwm_test2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

you will then need to run
Code:
reboot recovery
and then hit reboot when cwm comes up, if it asks to disable recovery flashing press yes or it will put stock recovery back next time the rom boots

known bugs:
unmounting doesnt work

downloads:
http://www.4shared.com/file/2qBR2Kfr/flash_cwm_test2.html

i apologize for it being 4shared, if someone wants to make a mirror ill put it up

Thank brother :)

I dont own this device but i sold some.. I have tested your recovery it works. lets see if someone comes up with anything. I had a nandroid backup of it.. will try to upload it..

it would be greatly appreciated, just need the system portion of the backup you can leave out the data part. and make sure to get both parts of the tar. one is a map, the other holds the actual files. individually theyre kinda useless

once we have that, we can find someone computer savvy with a decent enough internet connection to toss that and the boot.img into android kitchen, make it flashable, upload it, and then from there you guys can tinker with that and custom roms will come

Upvote 0
ill go through the fastboot/bootloader method for you guys, for those of you who cant get it flashed via terminal

this will not require root, but may require manually fixing drivers. the instructions for that can be found in the warp sequent section. manually fixing adb drivers i believe i called it just remember if its not in boorloader/fastboot mode and plugged in you cant fix the drivers for it

anyway, heres the instructions

get an adb connection, terminal emulator, or a program like rebooter

for adb type

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

for terminal emulator

Code:
reboot bootloader

and if you get a program like rebooter you run it then hit the bootloader button

then once youre in bootloader mode the phone will appear to be frozen on the black background with the green android guy

it is at this point youll want to check and fix the fastboot drivers, as well as make sure you have the fastboot program, works the same as adb

once its all ready you will want to have the cwm img file in the same directory youre working in on command prompt, if you dont understand that learn more about command prompt so you can use it effectively

type

Code:
fastboot flash recovery cwm.img

substitute "cwm.img" for the name of the img file

then youll want to use

Code:
fastboot boot cwm.img

substituting again obviously

that will make it load cwm, you can boot it wothout installing with this command but next time you load recovery itll still have stock recovery, similarly the reason we do this command is to make sure stock rom doesnt delete cwm and put stock back

if cwm asks you to disable recovery flashing, say yes or you will lose cwm next time you boot the phone

hopefully this helps some people that have soft bricked

Upvote 0
YaY! I have a recovery now! Thank you for putting together flash_cwm_test2. Even a n00b like me can install it without screwing things up. ;)

A question & a comment:

Question: I'm not sure what you meant when you said that unmounting doesn't work. Unmounting what?

Comment... just a FYI:
On many phones, including mine, the internal storage (usb storage app) is named sdcard. The actual SD card (external storage) is now called sdcard2. In phones set up this way, the flash_cwm_test2.img file has to be put into the sdcard folder (internal storage), not the external SD card. Otherwise it won't be found with the command:
dd if=/sdcard/flash_cwm_test2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Just for the heck of it, I left the img file on the SD card (sdcard2) & changed the command to dd if=/sdcard2/flash_cwm_test2.img .... It didn't work... the img file had to be in the sdcard folder (internal storage) with no change in your code command. If I'm not making sense, let me know & I'll try again :p

Edit:
Yikes! My comment sounds crazy! Let me know if you want me to try again

Upvote 0
makes sense. itll be either /mnt/sdcard2 or /storage/sdcard2. but yea thank you

and if you dont know what im talking about when i say unmounting doesnt work... then it doesnt really apply to you so no nerd to worry. i will explain tho

in the mounts and storage menu you can moint and unmount everything, system, data, sd, etc. but unmounting is said to not work right

Reactions: aimzzz
Upvote 0
sdcard in the clockworkmod folder, there is a backup folder, in that folder there is a seperate folder for each all numbered. time and date code but its wrong im sure. be aware if you change that folder name at all youll brake its md5 and have to manually repair it via adb shell commands so if you dont know how to do that dont rename the folders in backup

Upvote 0
sdcard in the clockworkmod folder, there is a backup folder, in that folder there is a seperate folder for each all numbered. time and date code but its wrong im sure. be aware if you change that folder name at all youll brake its md5 and have to manually repair it via adb shell commands so if you dont know how to do that dont rename the folders in backup

I must have done something wrong-- there's no clockworkmod folder on sdcard or sdcard2. When I boot up, I do get the CWM bootscreen tho. I repeated the install. Here's a copy of the command prompt part. Any thoughts?

C:\Users\Amy>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
root@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/flash_cwm_test2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sd
cc.1/by-name/recovery
mg of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery <
14176+0 records in
14176+0 records out
7258112 bytes transferred in 3.408 secs (2129727 bytes/sec)
root@android:/ # reboot recovery
reboot recovery

C:\Users\Amy>

Upvote 0
theres no clockworkmod folder??? there should be if youve made a backup. if youre trying to vopy it via adb shell tho capitalization matters and i dont think i have that right. at least the C is probably capitalized

... if youve made a backup :eek:
UH OH...
I'm a total n00b / space cadet. I guess I had in mind that it would make a back-up when it installed. All is well now

Plz don't hate...

Maybe you can go have a good laugh now :)
Some of us must leave you shaking your head sometimes. ACH! It's all so embarrassing!

Upvote 0
it happens man. if youve never used it you wouldnt know. i do shake my head alot believe me lol, but someone not knowing how cwm works because theyve never tried it before is nothing to really be ashamed of, you now know problem solved. simple stuff. its the people who cant follow directions, who make silly mistakes that should be common sense, that make me just go wtf...

Upvote 0
there is no "no mount" issue... factory reset doesnt reset the sd, and yea cwm uses the external sd not the internal, i hate using the internal sd personally especially on phones that use fuse, because then your cwm backups use up the space you have to install applications, every backup would use up a large chunk of your data partition, at least 300mb with the most minimal of things, you really wanna lose 10% of your app storage every backup?

Upvote 0
there is no "no mount" issue... factory reset doesnt reset the sd, and yea cwm uses the external sd not the internal, i hate using the internal sd personally especially on phones that use fuse, because then your cwm backups use up the space you have to install applications, every backup would use up a large chunk of your data partition, at least 300mb with the most minimal of things, you really wanna lose 10% of your app storage every backup?

My clockworkmod folder & the backups went onto the external sd (sdcard2). I didn't change anything or physically move the backup.

I agree about the internal vs external storage. It irks me that app manager says "move to sd card" when it's really moving stuff to the internal storage -- one of my apps has a huge database that I can't move to external storage. The least they could do is to call internal storage something besides sd-- it confuses things that could be clear & straightforward. I resent it when there's no option to use the external sd.:mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones