• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CWM Recovery stopped working. (Need help)

TPDM

Apr 2, 2013
Hello,
I recently rooted&unlocked my bootloader on my Hero S, and installed Evervolv (4.2.2, 4-7-13 nightly) and my phone is running the ROM fine and everything, but when I reboot into recovery (2FS kingdom CWM Recovery v5.0.2.8) I get a series of errors. These errors started appearing after I made a backup with ROM manager.

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I can't do anything in CWM such as install packages, flash roms, factory reset, etc. As of now my phone boots into Android 4.2.2 just fine. I manually installed all the gapps to the system folder, so I have all the Google services. I've also tried re-installing CWM with H-boot and re-naming the file PH44IMG, but when H-boot reads the file it says "CID incorrect! Press power to reboot."

So basically I have a working phone, but if I need to re-flash or restore a backup I am screwed. Any ideas how to fix this?
I also have everything important backed up, so data loss is not a concern. ;)

Thanks, I looked in my CWM zip, and I found the CID was actually for Sprint phones(my bad haha), so I changed it to US Cellular's CID and I was able to re-install CWM again. Then apon reboot, the errors were still there. I was able to clear the cache in CWM and once I rebooted the errors were gone! Now I can install .zip files without a problem. This whole situation was strange, but I'm just glad my phone is working again. ;)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
That's great to hear, TPDM! :)

I did a little research for you after I posted above, but there didn't seem to be a specific reason or resolution for what you reported--many were similar for other devices and seemed to echo a lot of what you reported, but didn't want to point you towards anything that wasn't for your particular device.

Good to hear you're back up and going again.

Cheers and have a great rest of your weekend!

:)

Reactions: TPDM
Upvote 0
I ran into that exact same problem, there just isn't much information out there for a solution with the CWM Recovery cache errors. After the hours of researching, I came to the conclusion that I would just start over from the beginning (after the boot loader was unlocked) in hopes that the cache would get reset and clear out the errors. Then it hit me, that I needed to clear the cache somehow, (Light bulb!) so the only option I could see was to re-install CMW recovery, and clear the cache. I can't believe that it was such a simple fix that I didn't see in the first place! Oh well, I guess experience is your best teacher.

Scary Alien, Same to you, and thanks for looking into this issue! ;)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones