• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 6.0.0-RC2

Poll closed due to new release for this ROM

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
ROM Review

Install

The installation was painless with RC2 although I still find it annoying that the google apps are separate from the rom but I understand why it has to be set up like that. The boot up after the rom was flashed took around 3-5 minutes for me. It took roughly 15 minutes to get all my apps redownloaded automatically (I have about 30 apps). I also flashed the SU 2.1 so my setcpu would work.

Set-up
Lowest brightness
3G always on
always syncing
no task manager
LauncherPro used
BW, News and weather, power control, music, and tesla LED widgets used
32m heap size
Various UI and spare parts tweaks done.

First Day running stock kernel
I rebooted a few times once all my apps were set up then took it off the charger around 10 am to test out the first day of running without using setcpu. I had mild usage (music, browsing, texting, wordwise pro, general playing around with the phone) and by 1 am it was at 30%. The rom felt a little laggy also.

Second day of running/ setcpu used
I set up setcpu to the following profiles: 600/250 main, 125/125 screen off. 400/125 temp > 50, 550/125 battery < 30%. Also changed the advance settings to the ones described in this thread. With those profiles and the same amount of usage as the first day. I took off the phone around noon and put it back on the charger at 1 am with 50% battery left. The rom itself felt about the same speed but a tad more jerky when the screen came back on.

Third day, new kernel/Chevy ulv 1ghz
flashed the new kernel and used the same setcpu profiles. I had probably less use than I had on the past two days. I pulled it off the charger at 2 pm and it was dead by 11 pm though. This kernel did not work at all for me. It ran very cool though. The performance didnt have any noticeable changes either.

Overall
4/5

Overall I give the rom a 4/5 because the rom has so many great features that I love. I am partial to sapphire and this rom because I personally cannot live with the change track volume rocker feature. Having said that though this rom definitely feels slower then others. it seems to hang at odd times. Also I am not too thrilled about the battery life. It is definitely still a rom I recommend checking out.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Anyone else running the newest nightly. The new Led notification settings are awesome. You can set the Led color for Text, email, gmail, google voice, and gtalk.

Not to long ago the options for changing the status bar color was also added so its now easy to get a black status bar without messing with themes

The power control widget is also now very customizable. Lots of options for adding different things to it

Upvote 0
OMJ - Can you theme the nightly builds? I have tried several times and always error out - not sure if it can be done or not?

If you are talking about making your own theme you can but you would probably have to redo the theme for each nightly build.

If you are talking about applying a theme meant for RC2 then it most likely will not work

Upvote 0
Nah not that creative was talking about using the WM'd for RC2. I have everything setup the way I want finally and while the updates to nightly sound cool, not sure I want to bail on WM'd yet. I assume in time these nightlies will be incorporated into the latest release?

Yea eventually they will make another release and themes will come out for it. Really though the nightlies are more stable and faster than RC2 for me

Upvote 0
OK, I am new to root, so forgive my ignorance.

I rooted via Easy Root and installed CyanogenMod 6.0.0.RC2 via ROM Manager. I told ROM Manger to do a backup.

Now that I have the ROM installed, I was under the impression that the phone would re-sync and that I would get all my apps/homescreen/etc. The only things I have are my contacts (but that came via Google). I had over 40 apps, which I suppose I could resync with AppBrain; but I am kind of feeling I shouldn't have to? What did I miss?

Upvote 0
OK, I am new to root, so forgive my ignorance.

I rooted via Easy Root and installed CyanogenMod 6.0.0.RC2 via ROM Manager. I told ROM Manger to do a backup.

Now that I have the ROM installed, I was under the impression that the phone would re-sync and that I would get all my apps/homescreen/etc. The only things I have are my contacts (but that came via Google). I had over 40 apps, which I suppose I could resync with AppBrain; but I am kind of feeling I shouldn't have to? What did I miss?

Normally your apps do automatically download again although for some reason someetimes it doesnt happen.

Did you check the box for Gapps when you installed with Rom Manager?

Things like this is the reason most root users use either Titanium Backup or MyBackupPro to backup apps and app data.

Reactions: Poloki
Upvote 0
Thought I checked GApps, but I dont remember. I am just going to link up to AppBrain and re-do.

One other question, unrelated to Cyanogen. If I 'Unroot' via Easy Root, it gets rid of anything having to do with root and goes back to stock 2.2 FRG01B, right?

I dont know what easy root does to unroot. Not sure if it would take you back to stock from cyanogenmod or not.

If you have gmail, the market, talk those type of things then you did check gapps

Upvote 0
hmm weird thing happened to me when trying out kernels. I tried out jdlfg's kernel and when I flashed it my phone told me that I had zero battery life when it was on the charger. even though the battery life was full before flashing. taking it off the charger made my phone shut down. I tried reflashing and same thing. So i tried the p3 kernel and man is that kernel amazing!

My battery life is just great with that kernel. I took it off the charger yesterday at 2 pm, its still off the charger and went through some mild usage is still at 40%. the Chevy ulv kernel made my battery last me only 9 hours and this is closing on 24 without charge.

seems like p3 might be my new favorite kernel

Upvote 0
hmm weird thing happened to me when trying out kernels. I tried out jdlfg's kernel and when I flashed it my phone told me that I had zero battery life when it was on the charger. even though the battery life was full before flashing. taking it off the charger made my phone shut down. I tried reflashing and same thing. So i tried the p3 kernel and man is that kernel amazing!

My battery life is just great with that kernel. I took it off the charger yesterday at 2 pm, its still off the charger and went through some mild usage is still at 40%. the Chevy ulv kernel made my battery last me only 9 hours and this is closing on 24 without charge.

seems like p3 might be my new favorite kernel

the jdlfg kernel you flashed must have been a 2.1 kernel. Thats what always happens when you flash a 2.1 kernel on 2.2

Upvote 0
I tried jdflg's kernels, the CM specific ones and the new 32.2.2 (or 32.2.3, don't remember), and performance wise, they were the best kernels I've used on CM! But I had no Wifi which is a deal breaker and a half. So I'm holding out hope that he gets wifi fixed. I'm jealous of those of you that aren't having wifi problems with them :(

Upvote 0
I tried jdflg's kernels, the CM specific ones and the new 32.2.2 (or 32.2.3, don't remember), and performance wise, they were the best kernels I've used on CM! But I had no Wifi which is a deal breaker and a half. So I'm holding out hope that he gets wifi fixed. I'm jealous of those of you that aren't having wifi problems with them :(

jdlfg kernels + CM6 nightlies = best rom ever. speed, stability, and features out the wazoo :D

fwiw, I used the jdlfg kernels made for lithium. I'm guessing those are the new ones you mentioned.

Upvote 0
jdlfg kernels + CM6 nightlies = best rom ever. speed, stability, and features out the wazoo :D

fwiw, I used the jdlfg kernels made for lithium. I'm guessing those are the new ones you mentioned.

I think i did try the Lithmod ones. In his thread @ cyanogenmod, there are mixed reports of wifi working, so i dont think its completely consistant in terms of wifi performance per Droid. I am going to have to try those CM nightlies though. I've heard so many positive things, i cant wait for the official releases of CM!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones