• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 7.1 ?

Stupid question 100 it seems like. Getting myself fired up to get CM 7 on my phone when you post the new links Prez, so here it is. Been havin a look at ROM manager, when clicking the bit that says Download Rom it tells me i have to install ClockworkMod Recovery, do i have to install that before i load a custom ROM:thinking:

Upvote 0
Yes. The recovery is essentially the software that's running the show when the actual android OS is being replaced. It backs up your phone's firmware, does the factory reset and installs the new firmware.

So when you use ROM Manager, you're basically generating a list of instructions for the recovery software to carry out once you turn off the android OS and boot into recovery. Its a more user friendly way of doing things that inputting the instructions into the recovery menu directly.

It's very easy to set up though, just pick the very first option in ROM Manager to install it.

And, it's important to know that, should your phone ever get stuck whilst booting (bound to happen once or twice when you flash firmware ;) ), you can boot the phone whilst holding Power + Volume Down to boot into recovery and fix things from there.

Reactions: murzz
Upvote 0
Yes. The recovery is essentially the software that's running the show when the actual android OS is being replaced. It backs up your phone's firmware, does the factory reset and installs the new firmware.

So when you use ROM Manager, you're basically generating a list of instructions for the recovery software to carry out once you turn off the android OS and boot into recovery. Its a more user friendly way of doing things that inputting the instructions into the recovery menu directly.

It's very easy to set up though, just pick the very first option in ROM Manager to install it.

And, it's important to know that, should your phone ever get stuck whilst booting (bound to happen once or twice when you flash firmware ;) ), you can boot the phone whilst holding Power + Volume Down to boot into recovery and fix things from there.

Cheers for that Xyro. Off to install it now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones