• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data Plan?

Jus10

Dec 30, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So my question is for someone who knows what they're talking about. Let me start off with my train of thought...

1) According to my sources of future LTE phones, a micro-sim is required and an LTE Data plan is also required.
2) The Jetstream has a standard sized SIM
3) I have an un-limited data plan, which means in an HSPA+ device my data should allow my data service to work, much like it does on my Infuse.

My question is, after much contemplating of choosing a 4G tablet, I've decided the Jetstream is what I want... will my current SIM and Data plan work on this device?

I work for AT&T but haven't been well trained in LTE devices since we don't really have much of them quite yet. Customer Service knows nothing and of course, tech support will tell me what I have to tell customers... you need a 4G SIM and 4G data plan to get the tablet to work.

I know in many cases this is false, since my SIM will work in any 3G and HSPA+ device, including aircards and MIFI Hotspots.

I also know that if you register your IMEI with a non-smartphone and get a non-smartphone data plan, then go stick your SIM in anything but the iPhone, you'll get unlimited data... (ssshhhhh)

I don't want to buy the device and only have to return it for not working with my SIM or Data Plan and owe a restocking fee. Can someone who knows their tech stuff answer me if this would work or not. I have a bunch of bonus cash from work that is burning a hole through my pocket and I want to finally step up and get a tablet, but since the only "4G" device we carry other than the Jetstream is a crappy version of the Iconia by Acer that runs HSPA that I know will work, I wanted to make sure this would work before buying the tablet.

Anyone?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones