• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DATA TRANSF WITH DIFF PHONE#'S

Gary Olson

Lurker
May 16, 2020
I didn't need cell a phone for many months during which my TracFone service expired AND they gave away my phone number. I have a new phone with a new phone# and need to transfer my old data to it. Both are android phones.

Google sync isn't working, I'm guessing due to the different phone numbers. Both phones were wifi connected to the internet and both signed into my Google account with full backup engaged on both. No a whorck.

Anyone know how to transfer contacts, SMS texts, and other data to a new phone with a different phone#?

Much obliged.

Reactions: Dannydet
what phone do you have now? what was the old phone? contacts will depend if you have them saved under google acct or if you had them saved directly to your phone. text messages can be saved with sms back and restore.

some phone manufacture's will have a way to back up and restore data....well at least samsung does. samsung has smart switch which allow you to transfer data from your old phone to the new phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet and MrJavi
Upvote 0
Google syncing is tied to your Google account, not to your phone number. If you were syncing your phone with your Google account, data like your emails, contacts, and Calendar info are retained in your online Google account. Once you set up your Google account on your new phone and set up syncing that should download your Google services data to your new phone. And you can use this SMS Backup & Restore app to transfer your SMS messages and phone call log from your old phone to your new phone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_US
It's also a good utility to keep on hand to set up an automated backup solution for your text messages and phone logs.
Do you also have a lot of other data like photos, videos, documents, audio to transfer over?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If you weren't able to get syncing to work with Contacts on your old phone, you can use the Contacts app to do an Export. That should save your contacts entries into a .vcf file, and then you can copy that file to your new phone, or save it as an attachment in an email message to yourself and open it on your new phone to use that phone's Contacts app to Import.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones