• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Searching for places in the Phone App

NewArtDroid

Apr 26, 2013
New York City area
Up until recently (perhaps when I got the new SIM card), I could be in the Phone App, search for a restaurant, and it would find it, without it being a contact. However, I notice that isn't working anymore. I type in the name of the restaurant, and nothing. Is there a setting somewhere I need to turn on so searching for places in my Phone App actually looks for their phone numbers? Instead of having to search in Google or Maps and hitting call?

what phone do you have?
Up until recently (perhaps when I got the new SIM card), I could be in the Phone App, search for a restaurant, and it would find it, without it being a contact. However, I notice that isn't working anymore. I type in the name of the restaurant, and nothing. Is there a setting somewhere I need to turn on so searching for places in my Phone App actually looks for their phone numbers? Instead of having to search in Google or Maps and hitting call?
What phone do you have? Never had this feature on my z fold 4.

Upvote 0
Not sure when they killed that feature but it was a 'thing' for sure. It doesn't work now though. I had location in the phone app disabled to bypass it because sometimes it would just arbitrary call a random place instead of a saved contact. It was actually a pretty clever feature that mostly worked though.

Upvote 0
Doesn't matter what phone, it's gone, Google killed yet another thing people used and liked. Here's the Link to the issue tracker, see comment 67 from Google on February.
1000008369.png

Last edited:
I never really used it on purpose but did try it a few times. It would sometimes kick in when I yelled at the stupid Google lady to call a saved contact. She'd just go ahead and do a search instead and call whatever/whomever she thought was helpful. It was not.
Looking around Reddit and Google's help/report a bug sites it does look like people did use it. Typical Google, let's add it the graveyard.

Upvote 0
I can see that it would have been handy. It wasn't that I felt differently, I simply did not know the feature existed in the dialer. A google search works and as they say, provides a great deal more information. I'm normally not needing anything but the number. I would have enjoyed just bringing the number to my dialer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones