• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data usage problem

cliffie

Oct 6, 2011
Hi.
I had a galaxy s5 for 4 years.
And a 1G data plan
And I managed just fine, with my hot spot for my workplace, and wifi router at home.
I had settings so that massive data things couldn't happen without wifi.

On Monday, I replaced my phone with a Galaxy s9+.
And in 3 days, it's eaten through .5G of data.

I tried to compare my s5 settings to my s9, but too much has changed.

The sprint tech rep says that's normal.
The sprint service rep tried to sell me an unlimited plan.

I just want to figure out the settings to help with this.

I noticed today that the phone was updating, without wifi, and I couldn't stop it.

So I changed all my non-essential apps to non auto update.
And I changed app update to over wifi only.

the tech rep said to enable data saver.
but he couldn't tell me the practical impact to using my phone.

any comments?
suggestions?

thanks, everyone.

I had Verizon for years and the reps kept telling me I didn't NEED an unlimited data plan and they would be happy to upgrade me to a higher data plan if I went over my data limit. I got tired of being told what I did or didn't need and switched to T-mobile. :p They have a great plan for old folks like me who don't like being told what we need or don't need. It may not be for everyone but it works for me.

Upvote 0
Go to settings / connections / data usage / mobile data usage.

There you can see what apps are using data. Tap on the app and you can see if it was using data on foreground or background. You can also block the individual app from using data on the background .Shortly after I got my at&t s9+ phone, the app issuing a lot of data was mobile services manager. Google that ,and you'll see it is a method for the carriers to continue to funnel additional bloatware to your phone.

Yes data saver should prevent data usage in the background from all apps. I prefer to block individual apps (that have shown themselves to be background data hogs) to make sure I don't block anything important. Personally I just came from nexus 6 and I rely heavily on Google stuff, so I leave all my Google stuff unblocked, but I'm more likely to block anything from samsung or my carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones